How do you do the "Doki Doki" Poem game programming

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Powderchoweder

How do you do the "Doki Doki" Poem game programming

#1 Post by Powderchoweder »

Hello smarter people than I will ever be. As you can tell I am new to Ren'py and looking to start doing some programming. My question for you all is, how does the game "Doki Doki Literature Club" program something like this? What are the steps? The little anime girls jump and you can click on each word and each word reacts to one of the girls and makes them jump; on top of that, the more words that relate to one character that you press will result in a different out come of your poem and different reactions the next day! How do they do it? Thank you very much!
Attachments
poem.png

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: How do you do the "Doki Doki" Poem game programming

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Powderchoweder wrote: Mon Jul 23, 2018 3:53 am Hello smarter people than I will ever be. As you can tell I am new to Ren'py and looking to start doing some programming. My question for you all is, how does the game "Doki Doki Literature Club" program something like this? What are the steps? The little anime girls jump and you can click on each word and each word reacts to one of the girls and makes them jump; on top of that, the more words that relate to one character that you press will result in a different out come of your poem and different reactions the next day! How do they do it? Thank you very much!
Each of the girls would have two animations, idle and jumping.

The words to chose from would be buttons - text buttons or image buttons - on different screens.

Each button will have a idle and a hover mode with actions for clicking on the button.

Clicking will determine which animation will be played for the girls and for moving to a different screen with different button options.

To method to determine which branch to continue the game on could be that each button have a value attached to it, say -1, 0 or 1.

The values of each choice could be added and the total sum could determine the branch. i.e. below -5 go branch 1, between -4 and 4 go branch 2, else go branch 3.

erickcire95
Regular

Re: How do you do the "Doki Doki" Poem game programming

#3 Post by erickcire95 »

First of all, Welcome to Ren'py :) Do you have experience with some other programming languages or is this the first time you dive into something like this?
If this is the first time you are gonna try and program something then I would highly suggest you to learn the basics and build your knowledge step by step. DDLC uses some rather advanced coding, and I don't think it might be a good idea to try something so big if you don't have proper basic skills (otherwise it might be a little too hard or at least seem overwhelming).

Anyway, answering your question, I don't know the exact way THEY did it, but if I were to do something like that I would try making a screen for the minigame (obviously), a list of words, pick some words randomly from that list, show them as text buttons, define a function so when I choose a word that relates to every character makes that character's sprite to jump and add +1 to a score, then check the maximum value among every character's score and based on that chose the outcome dialogue during the next "day".

...and probably I am missing something.

As you can see, it is not a simple task, so I strongly encourage you to learn more about Ren'py and start coding little by little, "Learn to walk before trying to fly", and eventually you will be able to come to solutions to this questions by yourself. It's not gonna be easy, but it will worth it.

Have a nice day