Web updater error

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Yc3k

Web updater error

#1 Post by Yc3k »

Hi guys.

I've successfully implemented the web updater into my game and the funny thing is it works, but there are some problems.

I've noticed that instead of downloading just the changed part of the game the web updater seems to download the entire new version before updating the current one. Now, this is not such a big issue, but I'm getting some strange errors in the updater log:
running ['D:\\renpy\\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\\TestingGround-1.0-dists\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\lib\\windows-i686\\zsync.exe', '-o', 'D:\\renpy\\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\\TestingGround-1.0-dists\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\update\\win.update.new', '-k', 'D:\\renpy\\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\\TestingGround-1.0-dists\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\update\\win.zsync', '-i', 'D:\\renpy\\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\\TestingGround-1.0-dists\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\update\\win.update', 'http://mysitename/TestingGround-1.1-win.zsync']
bad status code 406
failed to retrieve from TestingGround-1.1-win.update.gz
Aborting, download available in D:\renpy\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\TestingGround-1.0-dists\TestingGround-1.0-win\TestingGround-1.0-win\update\win.update.new.part
partfile does not exist
running ['D:\\renpy\\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\\TestingGround-1.0-dists\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\lib\\windows-i686\\zsync.exe', '-o', 'D:\\renpy\\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\\TestingGround-1.0-dists\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\update\\win.update.new', 'http://mysitename/TestingGround-1.1-win.zsync']
partfile does not exist
could not rename file D:\renpy\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\TestingGround-1.0-dists\TestingGround-1.0-win\TestingGround-1.0-win\renpy/common/DejaVuSans.ttfR D:\renpy\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\TestingGround-1.0-dists\TestingGround-1.0-win\TestingGround-1.0-win\renpy/common/DejaVuSans.ttfTraceback (most recent call last):
File "renpy/common/00updater.rpy", line 109, in process_deferred
process_deferred_line(l)
File "renpy/common/00updater.rpy", line 75, in process_deferred_line
os.unlink(fn)
WindowsError: [Error 32] The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process: u'D:\\renpy\\renpy-6.99.13-sdk\\TestingGround-1.0-dists\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\TestingGround-1.0-win\\renpy/common/DejaVuSans.ttf'
Now I must say it one more time. The updater updates the game in the end, but I still get the feeling it should not download the whole thing but only changed parts and I don't know why I'm getting these other errors.

I've tried changing the permissions on my web server (Apache at Hostgator) to read/execute/write but it changed nothing. According to the Hostgator help page HTTP range queries should be enabled. At least I think that's that...
Byte Range Requests Availability
Linux Hosting - Enabled

Apache has Byte Range Requests enabled by default and it is enabled on all our Linux Hosting options, including Shared, Reseller, SEO Hosting, VPS & Linux Dedicated Servers.
Any help or tips on how to solve this would be greatly appreciated.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: Web updater error

#2 Post by PyTom »

406 probably means it doesn't support range queries. I'd suggest taking it up with hostgator.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Yc3k

Re: Web updater error

#3 Post by Yc3k »

Yeah I thought it's probably something from their side.

Thanks for the help.