Menu choices missing boxes in Android builds

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
skip bittman

Menu choices missing boxes in Android builds

#1 Post by skip bittman »

I know I'm missing something obvious in screens.rpy, but I've been up for far too long!

In any case, in Windows builds the menu choices appear just fine with the text boxes behind them -- but in the Android builds I'm just getting white text which is hard to read against these backgrounds. What should I be tweaking to have both builds look the same ?

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Menu choices missing boxes in Android builds

#2 Post by Kia »

the screens for mobile are different, check the Mobile Variants at the end of your screens.rpy

skip bittman

#3 Post by skip bittman »

I'm picking up last year's project and finishing it up, a nice lengthy, meta-deranged piece of work! It's looking great on PC but definitely needs tweaks for mobile.

Thanks so much for the blindingly obvious and totally missed info. What sort of setting would I need to get the similar black strips behind the menu choices? Would cutting and pasting similar gui element script work or does android require something strange and esoteric?

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#4 Post by Kia »

you can copy paste the elements from PC GUI to mobile variations, there's no difference there.
just keep in mind that some buttons are removed because they don't work on android and help button is removed because it contains information for PC users.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#5 Post by Imperf3kt »

The choice button backgrounds for mobile aren't defined anywhere in any renpy script I can find.

But the images are in the mobile variant folder.
Older versions of renpy had a bug where they wouldn't create the images that seems to have been fixed recently.

So just copy the files from the PC version folder, to the mobile variants folder and it should work.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter