[Solved] Easein / easeout on the overlay layer

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
goldo
Regular

[Solved] Easein / easeout on the overlay layer

#1 Post by goldo »

Hi guys,

So, I'm trying to have easein / easeout transitions that apply to the overlay layer. This is because I am displaying an image on top of a renpy screen (the master layer appears behind the screen so I can't use it). I want the image to enter from the left, then swipe out to the right.

I already know I should use define.move_transitions() to create a different 'ease' move family for the overlay layer that I called 'easeol'.

The strange thing is, this works just fine for the entering transition (easeolinleft), but the leaving transition just won't work. The image hides without any transition at all.

Here is the code snippet. I know very little about transitions, so I'm probably doing something wrong, but I can't figure it out:

Code: Select all

label challenge(result, _sound=None):

$ define.move_transitions("easeol", 0.5, _ease_time_warp, _ease_in_time_warp, _ease_out_time_warp, layers=["overlay"])

if result:
        if _sound:
            play sound s_success

show success onlayer overlay with easeolinleft
        pause 1.0
        hide success with easeoloutright

else:
        if _sound:
            play sound s_crash

show failure onlayer overlay with easeolinleft
        pause 1.0
        hide failure with easeoloutright

return

Last edited by goldo on Sun Jul 29, 2018 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaydohMaydoh
Regular
Projects: Fuwa Fuwa Panic
Tumblr: maydohmaydoh

Re: Easein / easeout on the overlay layer

#2 Post by MaydohMaydoh »

I played around with it for a bit and it seems to work if you make a new layer to display the image on.

define config.layers = [ 'master', 'transient', 'screens', 'overlay', 'customlayer' ]
You also need to tell it what layer to hide on as well it seems.

show success onlayer customlayer with easeolinleft
pause 1.0
hide success onlayer customlayer with easeoloutright
I don't know much about layers so I can't tell you why it doesn't work with overlay, but I do know it's used to display overlay functions. So maybe something to do with that.

goldo
Regular

Re: Easein / easeout on the overlay layer

#3 Post by goldo »

It works now! Thank you so much!!! :D