Questions about Some Configurations in gui.rpy

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tofuuu
Regular

Questions about Some Configurations in gui.rpy

#1 Post by tofuuu »

I'm digging into gui.rpy code and trying to find out the answer of the questions that i'll be listed below. i've read the renpy documentations, but somehow i'm still confused, so i hope you can help me to answer these questions

- gui.history_name_xalign = 1.0 means that the character's name in history screen will be on right but when i saw it, it's like not on right but on left. so i tried play with it, i changed it to 0.0 and it colided with the dialogue text. why did that happen?

- define config.history_length = 250
does it mean that renpy will keep 250 dialogues?

- define gui.history_height = 140
i'm trying to figure out what is that through changing its size but seems nothings changed? what is that?

- do you know bar stands for what? i know slider and scrollbar, but i don't know about where's the bar.

- define gui.muted_color = '#66a3a3'
define gui.hover_muted_color = '#99c1c1'
what are those for? i'm trying to change the color but i don't see it anywhere.

- define gui.bar_tile = False
define gui.scrollbar_tile = False
define gui.slider_tile = False
and there's many more about _tile configuration. what's the function of tile?

- define gui.main_menu_text_xalign = 1.0
i'm trying to change it to 0.5 but again, nothings changed, my main menu text is still at the same place, what does it stand for?

- define gui.navigation_xpos = 40
this is for the x position of navigation button. since i'm using imagebutton and i set the xpos,ypos of the image button in screens.rpy, do i still need this? or should i just delete the xpos and ypos that i put beside the imagebutton in screens.rpy?

Thank you!

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Questions about Some Configurations in gui.rpy

#2 Post by Donmai »

I'd suggest you follow the GUI customization guide: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/gui.html ... tion-guide
You can apply each suggested modification to a new project, and then you will see what each command does. Many of your questions are answered there.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

I haven't answered everything, but maybe these short explanations can help?
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define config.history_length = 250
does it mean that renpy will keep 250 dialogues?
Yes, this is how many lines of dialogue are kept in the backlog as a player reads through. It is required so it doesn't take up too much memory and also so the slider doesn't shrink into nothingness.
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.history_height = 140
i'm trying to figure out what is that through changing its size but seems nothings changed? what is that?
This should be how high between entries of text on the history screen. If you find text overlapping, you need to increase this (but also consider shortening your sentences, the default is a pretty good standard)
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.muted_color = '#66a3a3'
This sets the color when the button or text cannot be clicked on (like a webpage uses gray (by default) to show a link you cannot click)
By default, unless you actively give it reason not to allow a player to click it, a button will not be muted.
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.bar_tile = False
I don't know what bar is, but tile is derived from tiles, square shapes exactly the same size as each other, all laid out in a grid. Essentially, many copies of the same image placed side-by-side to make the larger image, instead of stretching it.
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.main_menu_text_xalign = 1.0
i'm trying to change it to 0.5 but again, nothings changed, my main menu text is still at the same place, what does it stand for?
That should do as you expect. I couldn't say why it isn't without further details.
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.navigation_xpos = 40
this is for the x position of navigation button. since i'm using imagebutton and i set the xpos,ypos of the image button in screens.rpy, do i still need this? or should i just delete the xpos and ypos that i put beside the imagebutton in screens.rpy?
If you are setting position of imagebuttons, you shouldn't need this. I cannot remember for sure, just try commenting it out and see what happens - add a # to the front of the line. Delete the hash to uncomment it (activate it again)

Code: Select all

#    define gui.navigation_xpos = 40
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

tofuuu
Regular

#4 Post by tofuuu »

I've re-read the guide one more time and found the anwers there (although not all) thank you!
Donmai wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:10 pm I'd suggest you follow the GUI customization guide: https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/gui.html ... tion-guide
You can apply each suggested modification to a new project, and then you will see what each command does. Many of your questions are answered there.

tofuuu
Regular

#5 Post by tofuuu »

what's the difference with insensitive color? It sets the unclickable button/text too, right?
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.muted_color = '#66a3a3'
This sets the color when the button or text cannot be clicked on (like a webpage uses gray (by default) to show a link you cannot click)
By default, unless you actively give it reason not to allow a player to click it, a button will not be muted.

I've figured out about the bar through reading the documentation once again. But i still confused about the tile. Does it mean when i set the tile to False, the image will be stretched?
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.bar_tile = False
I don't know what bar is, but tile is derived from tiles, square shapes exactly the same size as each other, all laid out in a grid. Essentially, many copies of the same image placed side-by-side to make the larger image, instead of stretching it.

I'll reply the pics below since it can't be put here. First pic i set it to 1.0 and the second pic i set it to 0.5
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm - define gui.main_menu_text_xalign = 1.0
That should do as you expect. I couldn't say why it isn't without further details.
tofuuu wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:40 pm
Attachments
Screenshot (440).png
Screenshot (439).png