Why do we need to declare style properties again after we set it to default? (in screen.rpy)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
tofuuu
Regular

Why do we need to declare style properties again after we set it to default? (in screen.rpy)

#1 Post by tofuuu »

In the screen.rpy there's some style that has been declared default then have another style declaration. what i mean is

Code: Select all

style window is default
and then on the below there's

style window:
    xalign 0.5
    xfill True
    yalign gui.textbox_yalign
    ysize gui.textbox_height

background Image("gui/textbox.png", xalign=0.5, yalign=1.0)
why do we need to do it twice?

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Why do we need to declare style properties again after we set it to default? (in screen.rpy)

#2 Post by trooper6 »

By saying it is default, you are giving a ALL the default characteristics...and there are a lot of them. Then, a bit later, you overwrote five particular elements, but all the rest remain default.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

tofuuu
Regular

Re: Why do we need to declare style properties again after we set it to default? (in screen.rpy)

#3 Post by tofuuu »

can we see what are the rest of the default characteristics?

And i do wonder, in the top of the screen.rpy script there's this code

style default:
    properties gui.text_properties()
    language gui.language
but i can't find text_properties() in gui.rpy?
trooper6 wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:32 am By saying it is default, you are giving a ALL the default characteristics...and there are a lot of them. Then, a bit later, you overwrote five particular elements, but all the rest remain default.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

You need to look in ren'py install directory to find the rest, infact I recommend this anyway for both experience (see how Ren'Py works) and finding things you never knew about.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

tofuuu
Regular

#5 Post by tofuuu »

Where can i look this directory? i can't find it in game folder :(
Imperf3kt wrote: Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:47 am You need to look in ren'py install directory to find the rest, infact I recommend this anyway for both experience (see how Ren'Py works) and finding things you never knew about.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

Where did you install renpy?
Using myself as an example (Windows, default install location), the folder to look through, should be here:
C:\Program Files (x86)\renpy\launcher\game

I think what you are looking for is inside the gui7.rpy file or style.rpy
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter