How can I create a screen like this?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
zeroTheHero
Regular

How can I create a screen like this?

#1 Post by zeroTheHero »

This is basically a mobile chat like screen. I'm having trouble adding the image (character emojis) to the side of the boxes. I think Butterfly Soup did something like this, but I can't figure out how. Some help would be much appreciated! Thanks~
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png

FroGlenn
Regular

Re: How can I create a screen like this?

#2 Post by FroGlenn »

The best way IMO is to break the image em little steps so you can work on each slowly.

Do you know how to add images and text to screens? Do you know how to use hbox/vbox, how to Frame elements and change backgrounds?

You will need all those little things to create something like this. Its easy, but its tricky and may require a lot of research.

Good luck.

zeroTheHero
Regular

Re: How can I create a screen like this?

#3 Post by zeroTheHero »

Thanks for the advice, it helped me reflect
FroGlenn wrote: Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:43 pm Do you know how to add images and text to screens? Do you know how to use hbox/vbox, how to Frame elements and change backgrounds?

You will need all those little things to create something like this. Its easy, but its tricky
Yes, I do know how to use hboxes, frames, and the other good stuff. I can create a frame for my textbox, but there are many small things I'm getting stuck on, like making a viewport and adding the image to the textbox frame. For adding the image, I tried to make an hbox and put the image and frame in it, but I'm worried if I scroll down the image will get separated from the textbox.

I probably don't know how to make a viewport work.

Or, I could just create textboxes with the images (instead of making ren'py add the images to the textbox). It would be easier, but so many images would be repeated (say I have 5 images to add, so the pink textbox will have to be repeated 5 times)