Sprite disappearing and silhouette takes it place?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

Sprite disappearing and silhouette takes it place?

#1 Post by skyeworks »

So I have this problem with one part of a scene, I'm writing, it might be because there are too many characters at once 3 then 4 later.

One of the sprites shows up fine but as soon as the character talks, it's gets replaced by a placeholder sprite. Annnd I can't get rid of it. Even if I change the expression of the sprite later.

(I want the sprite to be independent of the side images if that's the issue.)

Code: Select all

show johnny normal at right
    show roxy flip at right behind johnny
    show Rex shade at left
    ro angry "Hmph. Good, this one can follow orders."
    r howl "... S-scary."
    #-----dialogue that I cut out for brevity
    show rex normal at left
    show sparky flip at center
    s normal "Chief."

Here's a pictorial illustration of what I mean
This is it with appearing correctly. (The brown dog.)(The line "Show Rex shade at left")

Here it is when he speaks. The sprite disappears and I get the placeholder. So at the code above, the "r howl" line is when this happens

and in the later scenes, it's still there even though I have called a different sprite of the same character.

I didn't have this problem before because I had one sprite per character but I want to add more and it's really complicated.

dGameBoy101b
Regular
itch: dgameboy101b

Re: Sprite disappearing and silhouette takes it place?

#2 Post by dGameBoy101b »

I think you should check your character definition for rex. Renpy might not be able to find the right image in character "r" with the tag "howl". To avoid this issue in the future you should always have a default untagged image for each character you define (For this project, I would suggest the ones you have tagged with "normal").

Also, I notice that the first occurance of rex is capitalised while the second is all lowercase, which could also be causing the problem.

Finally, images can be fliped around by setting the zoom transform to a negative number. So with "show roxy flip" (assuming "flip" is not for a hair flip) should be achieved by puting the following.

show roxy behind johnny:
    xzoom -1
    right

skyeworks
Regular
Projects: K9-11
itch: skyefrost

#3 Post by skyeworks »

dGameBoy101b wrote: Mon Aug 13, 2018 4:32 am I think you should check your character definition for rex. Renpy might not be able to find the right image in character "r" with the tag "howl". To avoid this issue in the future you should always have a default untagged image for each character you define (For this project, I would suggest the ones you have tagged with "normal").

Also, I notice that the first occurance of rex is capitalised while the second is all lowercase, which could also be causing the problem.

Finally, images can be fliped around by setting the zoom transform to a negative number. So with "show roxy flip" (assuming "flip" is not for a hair flip) should be achieved by puting the following.

show roxy behind johnny:
    xzoom -1
    right
THANK YOU SO MUCH.

"Also, I notice that the first occurance of rex is capitalised while the second is all lowercase, which could also be causing the problem."
That's was the issue, haha. It's weird because it's wasn't consistent. (Ie: the Shaded sprites was not showing up unless I capitalized it. so that's why I did that. But now I just made it all lowercase and went back to the declaring images and made it lowercased as well.)

And I have that code for the flip, its just that if I want her to flip back. I didn't know what to do. but THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

dGameBoy101b
Regular
itch: dgameboy101b

#4 Post by dGameBoy101b »

To flip back all you have to do is reset the xzoom to 1.