Could I get some starting pointers/tips on making the choice menu look like this?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SuperbowserX
Veteran

Could I get some starting pointers/tips on making the choice menu look like this?

#1 Post by SuperbowserX »

While writing my textbox style, I've already figured out moving the character portrait and the grey circle behind them. I also am quite sure I can figure out how to limit the text width (so that it'll fit onto the image of the choice box).

But how would you make a choice menu where you have a number of options that are stacked together? Like each option is a choice and each choice is stacked directly on top of one another like you see here (the gap between menu choices that is normally there isn't there)?

rames44
Veteran

Re: Could I get some starting pointers/tips on making the choice menu look like this?

#2 Post by rames44 »

The choices are contained inside a vbox in the choice screen. The spacing between the items is controlled by styling on that vbox. So you need to alter the existing style, or replace it with a new one within the screen.

You can find out the names of styles by hovering the mouse over an item and the pressing Shift-I. With that, you can find them in screens.rpy.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Could I get some starting pointers/tips on making the choice menu look like this?

#3 Post by trooper6 »

I loved Cause of Death.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#4 Post by SuperbowserX »

Thank you trooper ily :) It is the best game I've played.

And rames: I gave a look into screens.rpy and I believe I found the relevant screens (and I think I know which images in gui/button to mess with). It'll take some trial and error but thanks for the pointer.

Will post back here if I have a more concrete question.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#5 Post by trooper6 »

I am always somewhat bemused when people go on and on and on about how visual novels aren't popular in the West. When...well they are. Cause of Death and Surviving High School were popular, Now Choice of Games have continued on in that tradition. But...they aren't using a Japanese animation style, so I suppose people just ignore them.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

SuperbowserX
Veteran

#6 Post by SuperbowserX »

Are you referring to Choices: Stories You Play? That's a good one even though their business model (diamonds and keys) is very poor.

Also, I could use some help. So tinkering with spacing, I was able to get the choices stacked on top of each other. But, problem is, the text in the textboxes is not occupying the full screen.

Image I've tried to play around with the aligns but I'm not really that acquanited with styles in renpy. How can I make it so that the text in the choice button is aligned to the left of it?