How to reduce the space between blocks of text in nvl mode

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Skyleft
Regular

How to reduce the space between blocks of text in nvl mode

#1 Post by Skyleft »

I've been searching all over the renpy website trying to sort this out, but nothing that's listed there has any impact on what I'm trying to solve. Right now, there's a big space between every two blocks of text when I use nvl mode, and I'd like to shorten it.

I've tried altering "gui.nvl_height" to "None" and "gui.nvl_spacing" to a low value, in gui.rpy, but that makes no difference.
In options.rpy, I also tried adding the following, although it didn't do anything either:
"init python:
style.nvl_vbox.box_spacing = 10"

How would I do it?

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: How to reduce the space between blocks of text in nvl mode

#2 Post by Kia »

go straight to screens.rpy and find NVL section, there you can find a vbox to add spacing to it.

Skyleft
Regular

#3 Post by Skyleft »

It has no effect. If I create a new project, and simply add define "define gui.nvl_height = None," my problem gets fixed.
However, I also need to alter other parameters to properly align my text, so I need to also have this:
define gui.nvl_text_xpos = 0.1
define gui.nvl_text_ypos = 0.1
define gui.nvl_text_width = 995
define gui.nvl_thought_width = 995

As soon as I remove those, adding "None" to the height value works, however, with them there's no change, and I need all of them to work.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Kia »

have you checked the screens.rpy file?
if you insert style parameters directly under a vbox, all other settings will be ignored.

Skyleft
Regular

#5 Post by Skyleft »

I'm not sure what you mean, "under a vbox." What would I have to put, and where, exactly? Every change I've made has been on gui.rpy

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Kia »

oh, you need to learn a bit about screen language then:
https://renpy.org/doc/html/screens.html

amada

#7 Post by amada »

I'm a bit late to this but I wanted to ask if OP was ever able to find a solution to this? I've tried going to screens.rpy and replacing the vbox spacing to 10 and it does work. Kind of. But only for the first two blocks of text and the rest of the lines of text just don't appear anymore.