Character dissappeared?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Pockets
Deviantart: tsunayoshi86

Character dissappeared?

#1 Post by Pockets »

So... basically I've managed to make my character not appear. As in the image is there, he's coded in correctly as far as I can tell, and he even used to be there. But I was messing with some stuff in the GUI and, somehow I managed to make this character just stop appearing.

Let me screen shot everything:
So right now this is what it looks like. There should be one more character on the left.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... nknown.png
A picture to show you that clearly the image has been defined, and that the image exists.
And a picture to show you that the character should be shown.
And this is a previous load where the code was working and the character appeared :
I'm imagining that I'm missing something.
(OTN, I know the image says shrink. Don't mind that, I just named it shrink because I cut the size down in half so that it appears in normal size, since I drew the images really big.)

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Character dissappeared?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Pockets wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 pm So... basically I've managed to make my character not appear. As in the image is there, he's coded in correctly as far as I can tell, and he even used to be there. But I was messing with some stuff in the GUI and, somehow I managed to make this character just stop appearing.
---
Could it be that Darius is shown outside the frame? If you give him a position inside the frame does he show up then? i.e. xalign 0 yalign 1.0

Pockets

#3 Post by Pockets »

Per K Grok wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:20 am
Pockets wrote: Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:12 pm So... basically I've managed to make my character not appear. As in the image is there, he's coded in correctly as far as I can tell, and he even used to be there. But I was messing with some stuff in the GUI and, somehow I managed to make this character just stop appearing.
---
Could it be that Darius is shown outside the frame? If you give him a position inside the frame does he show up then? i.e. xalign 0 yalign 1.0
Unfortunately that's not it either. I tried giving him those exact coordinates and he still won't appear x.x

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer

#4 Post by Per K Grok »

Pockets wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 pm ---
Unfortunately that's not it either. I tried giving him those exact coordinates and he still won't appear x.x
Could Darius' alpha have been set to 0 somewhere earlier in the code? That is, could Darius be there, but fully transparent?

If you set alpha to 1.0 does that do anything?

Pockets

#5 Post by Pockets »

Per K Grok wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:12 am
Pockets wrote: Tue Sep 11, 2018 10:05 pm ---
Could Darius' alpha have been set to 0 somewhere earlier in the code? That is, could Darius be there, but fully transparent?

If you set alpha to 1.0 does that do anything?
Nope that didn't work either x.x I've also tried to make the character appear first in case it's like hiding behind the other characters...
(I doubt it but is it possible that a character appears behind a background?)

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Per K Grok »

Pockets wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 10:13 pm
---

Nope that didn't work either x.x I've also tried to make the character appear first in case it's like hiding behind the other characters...
(I doubt it but is it possible that a character appears behind a background?)
It should be possible to put the character behind the background, I believe, using 'behind' or zorder. It seems very unlikely, but you could test for that by commenting out the background, I suppose.

An other thing you could test, is to make a new image 'Darius2' using the same image file. Then try to show Darius2.
If that works then you would have something in the code outside this scene that is interfering with 'Darius' and you should search for all instances of 'Darius' in all your code to see if you can find out what it is.
If 'Darius2' does not work, it would seem that there is something wrong with the Darius image file.

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

#7 Post by Kia »

the image that is shown first will be covered by the images that show later, in case of:

Code: Select all

show background
show character1
show character2
character appear on top of background.

when you change the order:

Code: Select all

show character1
show background
show character2
the background will cover the character1, renpy doesn't recognize if an image is background or character, therefore, it shows them on top of each other

Pockets

#8 Post by Pockets »

Alright I got it to work! Thank you! (I ended up doing what Per K Gog did and somehow now its working? I must've misspelled something or something. Weird.) Thanks again!