Make Text Flash By Very Quickly?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

Make Text Flash By Very Quickly?

#1 Post by ArizaLuca »

I want to make a game where certain lines are shown for a split second before it disappears, and the only way to see what is written is in the history or in a separate thing. I looked in the tutorial in Launcher Ren'Py but I didn't see how to do that. Does anyone know? Thank you!

DannX
Regular

Re: Make Text Flash By Very Quickly?

#2 Post by DannX »

You could try the {nw} (no-wait) ending text tag, with a very fast cps (character per second) speed, or just 0 to display instantly:

Code: Select all

e "{cps=0}So fast you can't see me!{nw}"

ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes

#3 Post by ArizaLuca »

Thank you!

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#4 Post by ArizaLuca »

DannX wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 am You could try the {nw} (no-wait) ending text tag, with a very fast cps (character per second) speed, or just 0 to display instantly:

Code: Select all

e "{cps=0}So fast you can't see me!{nw}"
This is very helpful, but it displays it so quickly that it's hard to tell that someone is saying something-- does anyone know how to have it display for long enough to read a bit of it before disappearing? Thank you!

kostek00
Regular

#5 Post by kostek00 »

Before {nw} you can add wait tag with time {w=1.0} which stands for 1 second. This will wait for 1 second and proceed further. You can also remove cps tag so line will appear normally as any other and players will know there was something.