Connect Renpy to my Website with a Generated Password?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
GeeSeki
Regular
Projects: A Town Uncovered
itch: geeseki

Connect Renpy to my Website with a Generated Password?

#1 Post by GeeSeki »

This may be reaching for the stars and I have no idea if this is even somewhat plausible but is there a way for my game to have a password system that is generated by my website?

Sort of like Steam's Passcode Authentication when you need sign in to a new device. You have to use the steam app and a new code is generated every few seconds and only during that time frame is when the code is valid.

I want to link my game so whenever a password is needed, it needs to be granted via my website, is this possible and if so, what do I have to do? What do I need? I already have a website, and my game. Thanks!

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: Connect Renpy to my Website with a Generated Password?

#2 Post by Kia »

if I'm not mistaken 2FA generates a password based on the devices time, if you're able to code the website side of it, the client side shouldn't be any harder, however, there's always the problem that the clients clock is not always that accurate causing the password to fail.

a more reliable idea is to use asymmetric cryptography: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography