SOLVED! (Text Issues With Extend)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Offworlder
Regular

SOLVED! (Text Issues With Extend)

#1 Post by Offworlder »

The issue I'm having is mild, but it affects the aesthetic of the game.
I'm using the "extend" tag, and it essentially works precisely as expected. However, it also causes a text display issue in some spots.

Here's what I have:

Code: Select all

"Have I packed enough?"
    extend " Will I breakdown halfway there?"
    extend " What if I get lost?"
    extend " What if the ranch catches on fire?!"
Just to be thorough, the goal is for the player to click after each sentence. Ultimately, it should end up looking like this:
Have I packed enough? Will I breakdown halfway there? What if I get lost? What if the ranch catches on fire?!
All on one screen, with text wrapping as normal. This aspect of the code works fine!
The issue is how the text LOOKS. That is, the text moves slightly with the addition of each sentence. When the second sentence is added, the letters get closer together. When the third sentence is added (and this is the one that wraps to the next line), the text moves down slightly in addition to the letters getting closer together.The text does not move with the fourth sentence, however.

I use a very similar code in another part of the game, and pretty much the same issue happens. However, it does not happen with every instance of extend! So far, I've only noticed it with this multiple-short-sentence structure. With only two sentences (possibly due to the first sentence wrapping?), it works fine.

Is there maybe another code/tag I can use to achieve the same result, or is there something I can add to this code to make the text not move around at all? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

SOLVED! Thanks, philat.
Last edited by Offworlder on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Text Issues With Extend

#2 Post by philat »

Offworlder
Regular

Re: Text Issues With Extend

#3 Post by Offworlder »

philat:

Oh! Yes, that solution works perfectly. x_x
I apologize for asking something that already has an answer. I never saw that thread during my search, though I may have overlooked it due to the term "kerning". I'll know that's what I'm referring to if I ever experience something like this in the future!

Thanks again for your help!

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: SOLVED! (Text Issues With Extend)

#4 Post by philat »

You're welcome. :)