How to Display Multiple Text?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
VimislikArt
Regular
Projects: King of the Cul-De-Sac
Deviantart: vimislikart
itch: vimislikart

How to Display Multiple Text?

#1 Post by VimislikArt »

I've been using the Ren'py camera lot lately, and I realized I could use it to place and move words using "show text" around the screen with ease!

I would love to utilize this to place word balloons on the screen in various locations, but whenever I use "show text", I can't use that tag again to display another batch of text at the same time. This is fine in most cases, but I'd like to be able to display multiple word balloons at times if possible, and other than the standard dialogue options (which I can't position differently from screen to screen using transform language), I can't figure out a second way to display transformable text.

Worst case scenario, I can try to place text by using various tags inside the quotations...

Code: Select all

## Places second word balloon 30 pixels down, 20 pixels right
show text "Yes{vspace=30} {space=20}That is a\nreasonable\nchoice"
... but you can't use negative numbers for vspace or space, so it would involve a lot more trial-and-error work to position things just right.

Other than baking text into images, what are my options for displaying multiple, transformable, easy to edit batches of text?
Attachments
Untitled-1.png
Untitled-1.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 727 times
Check out my VN, King of the Cul-De-Sac, currently in Open Beta production! Try it out HERE!

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: How to Display Multiple Text?

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

VimislikArt wrote: Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:01 am
-----

but I'd like to be able to display multiple word balloons at times if possible, and other than the standard dialogue options (which I can't position differently from screen to screen using transform language), I can't figure out a second way to display transformable text.

----
This might not at all be the solution that you are looking for, but it could be a way to get the effect you are looking for.

Making your word balloons using screens.

define balloontext="text"
define b1X=50
define b1Y=50

screen balloon1:
    fixed:
        xpos b1X
        ypos b1Y
        add "balloon.png"
        text balloontext xpos 50 ypos 60 xmaximum 200 color "#000"
xmaximum is to get automatic line breaks so the text stays in the balloon.

You can then set the text and the coordinates for the balloon and show the screen.

$ b1X=100
    $ b1Y=175
    $ balloontext="bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla bla"
    show screen balloon1
You can have as many screens as you need and show as many of them at the same time as you need.

A very hacky way of doing it, but since no one else has suggested something better ....

Randomiser

Re: How to Display Multiple Text?

#3 Post by Randomiser »

I may misunderstand exactly what you're going for as I haven't used the Ren'py Camera script myself. Have you tried simply using the "as" property to rename the text's tag? For example,

show text "Yes" at topleft as text1
show text "No" at topright as text2
allows both "text1" and "text2" to be displayed at once, in different positions.

If you need these text bubbles alongside the main dialogue window, I believe you will need to use a screen for them to stop them from being hidden by advancing the dialogue.