[Solved] "An exeption has occured." while trying to view history

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
FantaMinette

[Solved] "An exeption has occured." while trying to view history

#1 Post by FantaMinette »

Hello, before I start here, I'm a noob so I might have done some noob errors.

I started a really REALLY simple script for a simple game I'm making. For some reason, when I try to open the History tab, I get this error that I don't understand.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in script
    $ ui.interact()
  File "renpy/common/00gamemenu.rpy", line 173, in <module>
    $ ui.interact()
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 883, in execute
    screen history():
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 883, in execute
    screen history():
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 890, in execute
    use game_menu(_("History"), scroll=("vpgrid" if gui.history_height else "viewport"), yinitial=1.0):
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 417, in execute
    screen game_menu(title, scroll=None, yinitial=0.0):
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 417, in execute
    screen game_menu(title, scroll=None, yinitial=0.0):
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 426, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 429, in execute
    hbox:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 435, in execute
    frame:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 438, in execute
    if scroll == "viewport":
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 454, in execute
    vpgrid:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 465, in execute
    transclude
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 890, in execute
    use game_menu(_("History"), scroll=("vpgrid" if gui.history_height else "viewport"), yinitial=1.0):
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 894, in execute
    for h in _history_list:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 896, in execute
    window:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 899, in execute
    has fixed:
  File "game/screens.rpy", line 913, in execute
    text what
NameError: Name 'Today is a great day~' is not defined.
The NameError thing is totally random because I've made sure it was a proper line, the narrator is speaking which means he is not defined as a character :

Code: Select all

"[[{i}Today is a great day~{/i}]"
This, in theory, should not interfere with anything.

Also, I have not tampered with the screen.rpy and I don't even know where this fabled 00gamemenu.rpy is. I kinda wish I could fix this thing before I keep going just to make sure my stuff is cleaned and all. When I check with "Check Script (Lint), it does not come up with anything bad.
ps: My Ren'Py is up to date. I've tested on 2 computers; windows 7 and windows 10. (The windows 10 one is up to date for sure the other one is probably screwed.)
Last edited by FantaMinette on Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Muzozavr
Regular

Re: "An exeption has occured." while trying to view history

#2 Post by Muzozavr »

You say you checked with Lint and I'm even noobier than you, so I might be talking out of my ass here... but the line you highlighted has two square brackets on the left and only one square bracket on the right.

Maybe this is part of Ren'Py syntax, but to my untrained eyes it looks weird. Try removing one square bracket and see if that fixes the problem.

Honestly, I wouldn't normally reply since I'm really nooby, but I've seen threads in this forum go on for quite some time without a reply. It's kinda random whether this forum is fast or not, so... hopefully, this first reply will help.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#3 Post by PyTom »

There's a fix coming for this in 7.1.1. It'll require you to change screens.rpy a little, but I'll have instructions on how to do that in the changelog.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

FantaMinette

#4 Post by FantaMinette »

@ PyTom Woah thanks a lot for the fast reply! I'll just keep going as planned until the next update :)

@Muzozavr The double brackets are used to use brakets inside a line. If you use" [" alone and close it up, you'll end up with an error because the program uses the brakets as part of its code. It does look weird though xD I had to research a bit to find this out. It's the same with "(" and "{" but I guess I could also use / to break the braket (aka telling it it's not to be used as code)(if it does work, I haven't tested this one out yet.)