Trying to make a point and click, need button help

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
KiddFox
Tumblr: kiddfox
Deviantart: stich76

Trying to make a point and click, need button help

#1 Post by KiddFox »

As the title says I wanna make a very, very simple in terms of what you do in the game-just click things and either get flavor text, go to a new screen, or get a simple yes/no prompt. From what I can understand I just need to make a buncha "map" screens for you to explore. I don't understand how to make the image an "imagemap" nor do I understand how to set clickable coordinates-although I might have found a background/"imagemap" work around in some of the games I downloaded to see if I can figure out what they did. I'm using a really simple set of scribbles I made as place holders until I get a hang of it for more detailed images. Hers' said placeholders

the first one is a very watered down "starting" spot with the windows and door clickable for flavor text for the test build, and the side going to the second screen. And basically the same for the back with the door and dog house as flavor stuff and the "front" square to get back to the first screen. Rinse repeat because no ending is meant to be there yet. I'm very, very new to programming and have only used renpy to make linear lil short story things before so this is a definite step up for me haha. I think it'll be really cool for the story I wanna make tho! Anyone have any pointers on how to do the buttons?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Trying to make a point and click, need button help

#2 Post by Alex »

Here's kind of example with buttons - viewtopic.php?f=8&t=48359#p478985

KiddFox
Tumblr: kiddfox
Deviantart: stich76

#3 Post by KiddFox »

I guess my wording was bad. Since by "button" I mean like...area you click. I'm going for a Phoenix Wright searching for evidence sorta look but without any items being removed from the scene.

Scribbles
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Pinewood Island, As We Know It
Projects: In Blood
Organization: Jaime Scribbles Games
Deviantart: breakfastdoodles
itch: scribbles

#4 Post by Scribbles »

I did this, but it was horribly flawed lol. I created a few screens and it sorta worked if you clicked on the textbutton to "look around" in the quick menu on the bottom of the screen it brought up this imagemap. Not exactly what you're looking for but maybe you can get a better version sorta working.

Code: Select all

screen h_o_1():

textbutton "I'm done looking around.":
        action Return()
        xalign 0.5
        ypadding 50
        text_size 25
        text_bold True

imagemap:
        auto "images/hidden_obj_%s.png"

hotspot (39, 300, 96, 49) action [SetVariable("note", "These are pretty flowers."), Show("information_screen")]#Flowers
        hotspot (193, 387, 114, 151) action [SetVariable("note", "That is a cute dog."), Show("information_screen")]#Dog
        hotspot (455, 574, 76, 70) action [SetVariable("note", "I wonder if that is tea or coffee?"), Show("information_screen")]#cup
        hotspot (889, 220, 74, 144) action [SetVariable("note", "Look at all those books."), Show("information_screen")]#Books
        hotspot (1139, 351, 130, 102) action [SetVariable("note", "What a cute cat."), Show("information_screen")]#Cat

screen information_screen():

frame:
        xalign 0.5
        yalign 0.5

vbox:
            xalign 0.5
            yalign 0.5
            spacing 15
            text _(note) size 25
            textbutton "Done" action Hide("information_screen") xalign 1.0
Image - Image -Image

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Alex »

You can use imagemap or mousearea if you already have an image for location. Or use imagebuttons to place active spots over background.
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens. ... statements
https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screens. ... -mousearea

For the imagemaps:
- create a screen and put imagemap code there, then call or show this screen to let player interact with it,
- for imagemap you need to set at least idle image (image where all hotspots drawn in inactive state) and hover image (image where all hotspots drawn like when player hovers mouse pointer over them all at once - in active state).
In code sample from documentation you can change

imagemap:
        auto "gui_set/gui_prefs_%s.png"
to

imagemap:
        idle "my_idle_img.png"
        hover "my_hover_img.png"
to use just 2 images.
- next thing - set the hotspots. You need to know coordinates for them. You can find them in photoshop-like program that can show the position of mouse pointer over image in pixel, or use ImageLocationPicker - run your project and press shift+d. Also set an action for the hotspot - https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_actions.html

Hope this will help you make an imagemap.
If you'll got farther questions - keep asking and someone will answer.