Cannot build tutorial included in Ren'Py 7.1.0

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
muffintosh

Cannot build tutorial included in Ren'Py 7.1.0

#1 Post by muffintosh »

Hi! I am new to Ren'Py. I have built sample games by using Ren'Py for android or desktop to test the functionality of building for those platforms. It works on my laptop, except one, the tutorial included. I could not built it. I want to build it and run it on my android mobile phone to save some tutorial reading time on the commute. It shows two error screens one after another, they are in the attachment. What is the reason? How can we solve that?
I am on MacOS 10.13.6, and Ren'Py 7.1.0.
Attachments
error screen
error screen
error screen
error screen

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Cannot build tutorial included in Ren'Py 7.1.0

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

The Tutorial isn't currently Android compatible so even if you find whatever is causing this error, it still won't work properly, unfortunately.
It is because of how the tutorial displays the code on screen.

You could modify the tutorial to not use the keywords file - which is the reason it isn't Android compatible, but it would take considerable work.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

muffintosh

#3 Post by muffintosh »

Thank you for prompt response. Actually it has managed to build after Ren'Py 7.1.1 update. But it still does not launch on Android phone, it does not pass through the renpy on android splash screen, it crashes.
Can you explain more why the way renpy shows code on screen is an incompatibility issue? What causes this?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

The examples system is not supported on Android, among other things. I have no plans to support the tutorial on non-pc platforms.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom