Requesting help for making a RPG visual novel xD.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
XWolfX

Requesting help for making a RPG visual novel xD.

#1 Post by XWolfX »

Second post in the forum (and is another question D=< )

I previosly asked a question about archiving files, please check this post also.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=8&t=5215

Now, to my problem.

I downloaded Ren`Py yesterday, and i have already completed the first part of my first game. I added sounds, characters and stuff. But i need one more thing to complete it, a battle system.

In my VN, the main character (you) must fight agains thousands of enemies in multiples battles. After the battle, you gain exp, more exp more level, more level more stats (like Streght, dexterity, etc).

The problem, is that im completly newbie in this area, and i dont know where to start.

My request if for some tutorials or links that explains how to use RPG frame, create battle system and that sort of thing. Ive already used the SEARCH of the forum, but with no results.

Thanks for the support guys, ur awesome.

-XWolfX

Midnighticequeen
Veteran
Completed: Bunni and Kitty, Sweethearts, Tiesa's Tales
Projects: Wish
Organization: Ice Queen Games
itch: icequeenstudios

Re: Requesting help for making a RPG visual novel xD.

#2 Post by Midnighticequeen »

Try going here http://www.renpy.org/wiki/renpy/doc/coo ... e_for_RPGs

Also check out Elven Relationship by chronoluminaire, it's on the Renpy games page. I know that the Moonlight Sonata demo includes rpg battles, as does Battle Test v1 and 2, plus there both open source. If you can find them in the forum, it would be worth the time to download them and see how other people go about making RPGs on Renpy

:( Though with all due respect, I wouldn't advise you making a RPG as your first game. It's hard and tedious to make RPGs in Renpy, and not something anyone would suggest for a newbie, but good luck to you if that is what your determined to do.

XWolfX

#3 Post by XWolfX »

Thanks for the advice, Midnighticequeen :D .

Ill check the games you suggested.

But there is no... how to say it... basic RPG code? I mean, a ren py script that makes a battle in a point of the game. For example, after a dialogue, a menu with "Atack" appears as well you Hp and opponents HP.

Something basic, like that, for having something to start with.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#4 Post by Aleema »

Hello! I'm making an RPG, too. Making one from scratch is pretty up there on the difficulty scale. The little things like inventory and stores can be harder than a battle system, I found. And don't forget making a good AI for your enemies, too.

A really helpful framework you should look at for inspiration is this open-source demo by ParsonSyunOwen. I didn't use anything from it, but it opened my eyes to how easy things that I thought were hard could really be. The word "RPG" isn't really in that thread so it is easily overlooked.

Right now, it sounds like Ren'Py isn't your best bet for an engine. It's really for story-driven games, and if you want to be strictly technical as an action game, there are certainly much better options for you (i.e. RMXP). If you do indeed have a good story you're interested in telling as well, then roll up your sleeves and put on your thinking cap -- you've got some coding ahead of you! ;)

Of course, this community will be with you every step of the way.