Start menu problem with screens

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
BigBadBarf

Start menu problem with screens

#1 Post by BigBadBarf »

So last night I was working with the documentation on screens and screen language and getting a bizarre error I don’t understand.

I created the hello_world screen in a custom_screens.rpy. However, when I tried to call it from the script it told me it couldn’t find that screen to use. So, in the interest of seeing if it worked, I placed the same hello_world code at the beginning of the script file. This time it ran fine.

This is where things got weird. The next time I ran the program, the start button on the default main menu wouldn’t function. I reverted changes to my script.rpy and ran it again, but it still wouldn’t work. I even went as far as replacing all code in the script file by copying code from another working file, but still had the same problem with the start button.

I created a new project and replicated the problem in the same fashion, but I’m not sure what I’m doing that’s causing it or how to rectify it. I’m getting no errors running the program, just a permanently borked start button.

I’m at work right now watching videos trying to wrap my head around this so don’t have access to the code, but can grab it later this afternoon.

rames44
Veteran

Re: Start menu problem with screens

#2 Post by rames44 »

Silly question - did you try “force recompile” in the Ren’py window?

If you rename or delete .rpy files, the complied .rpyc file will still be there, which means Ren’py will be seeing “old stuff” in addition to your “new stuff.” “Force recompile” will rename any .rpyc file that doesn’t have an .rpy file to have a .bak extension, which effectively hides them from being seen at runtime.