Renpy - having a name input screen separate from in-game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Roix

Renpy - having a name input screen separate from in-game

#1 Post by Roix »

Hi everyone,

I'll start by saying I'm not a programmer by any means and so I've been learning how to code as I develop my game - so please explain things to me like you would to a child!

I'm developing a mobile based VN and I wanted to create a separate name input screen that players could access without having to actually go 'in-game' to do it, if that makes sense.

How would I go about doing this?

The other thing is - after the prologue is over, players will be directed towards a page which has all the available characters and their subsequent routes, so they get to pick and choose straight off who they want basically.

I'm not yet at that stage of development, but I wanted to know beforehand if the names players entered into the prologue would still be remembered in game? If not - because there's a 'break' between the prologue and main stories - what would I have to do to ensure the names are retained?

Cheers