Movie Sprites with Transparent Background?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

Movie Sprites with Transparent Background?

#1 Post by ArizaLuca »

My problem is that I have a Movie Sprite, but the sprite has a background that is black when I try to change it to a format that Ren'Py supports. Is there a way to fix it so that the background is transparent instead?

Sorry, I don't know where to ask this.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Movie Sprites with Transparent Background?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

The documentation says a movie sprite must consist of two movie files, the movie that provides the color and the movie that provides the alpha channel. Do you have both the movie and the mask file? The mask file is the one that would make the background transparent.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.ht ... ie-sprites

This is the post where PyTom introduces Movie Sprites...there is a cool video:
viewtopic.php?t=36951
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

#3 Post by ArizaLuca »

trooper6 wrote: Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:35 pm The documentation says a movie sprite must consist of two movie files, the movie that provides the color and the movie that provides the alpha channel. Do you have both the movie and the mask file? The mask file is the one that would make the background transparent.

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/movie.ht ... ie-sprites

This is the post where PyTom introduces Movie Sprites...there is a cool video:
viewtopic.php?t=36951
Ah, that clears things up a bit. How do you make the movie that provides the alpha channel? (The mask movie)

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

I’m not experienced with creating animations and video editing. I imagine you’d create it in the same program you used to create the initial video.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978