With cps, click reveal text dialogue instead of goes to the next?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
abeplaga
Regular

With cps, click reveal text dialogue instead of goes to the next?

#1 Post by abeplaga »

Hi. I changed config.default_text_cps (not very fast but neither slow) because I want a reveal text for my dialogues but I see that when the player clicks, the game pass to next dialogue instead of reveal the actual. Is it possible to prevent that? It's for impatient players or speedreaders that wants to click for reveal showing text.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: With cps, click reveal text dialogue instead of goes to the next?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

By default, it should simply reveal the entire line of dialogue, not skip to the next (unless you click twice)
Have you done anything fancy or other editing to config options that may cause this unexpected behaviour?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

abeplaga
Regular

#3 Post by abeplaga »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 7:47 am By default, it should simply reveal the entire line of dialogue, not skip to the next (unless you click twice)
Have you done anything fancy or other editing to config options that may cause this unexpected behaviour?
Yes, thank you to say it because I didn't think that maybe it was my fault :oops:

I've this in script.rpy

Code: Select all

init python:
    config.keymap["dismiss"] = None
because I want that player clicks on textbox for continue the narrative. Also I've a transparent imagebutton over textbox for work that:

Code: Select all

screen nextclickarea:
    imagebutton idle "transparentbox.png" action Return("smth") xpos 34 ypos 848
Maybe it's the Return("smth"), the smth that forces game to jump to the next line of dialogue instead of ending the current one with the cps. Is there another return code that ends cps and if is finished goes to next dialogue?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Sorry, I can't see how what you have works, so cannot say.
I can however, see what you're trying to do.
Personally, I'd make a screen and add a 99.9% transparent imagebutton that covers the whole screen and has a cut out section where the text box is. Give the imagebutton an action of 'None' or 'NullAction', remember to set focus_mask True

Clicking anywhere on the99. 9% invisible button will do nothing, while clicking on the text box should work as normal.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

abeplaga
Regular

#5 Post by abeplaga »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:33 pm Sorry, I can't see how what you have works, so cannot say.
I can however, see what you're trying to do.
Personally, I'd make a screen and add a 99.9% transparent imagebutton that covers the whole screen and has a cut out section where the text box is. Give the imagebutton an action of 'None' or 'NullAction', remember to set focus_mask True

Clicking anywhere on the99. 9% invisible button will do nothing, while clicking on the text box should work as normal.
Better solution than mine! Thank you!