Quick time event structure?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Newprogrammer

Quick time event structure?

#1 Post by Newprogrammer »

Hi everyone, i would like to implement some quick time event in my game but i have no idea on how to make it 😅, someone can help me in understanding the structure of this kind of minigame and how it works.

Thanks a lot guys.

DannX
Regular

Re: Quick time event structure?

#2 Post by DannX »

I'm not exactly an expert but, as far as I know, there are three types of QTE, timed, button-masher, and precise-timed (I just invented those as I don't know the real terms).

In a timed QTE, the most common type, roughly, all of this occurs at the same time:

1. You prompt the player, maybe with an image, telling them what button they need to push.
2. You setup a timer, maybe a bar or a digital clock, and show it to let the player know how much time they've got left, usually a few seconds or else it won't be a "quick" time event.
3. You show some kind of animation, depending on what kind of event you're depicting. This is the tricky part as the animation needs to perfectly match the time alloted to the player.
4. You check if the player presses the button before timer runs out.
5. If they do, add some behavior (jump to a label, do somthing, etc).
6. If the player does not press the button, or they mess up and press a different button (I do that a lot), or if they run out of time, add some different behavior (take damage, jump to a label, etc).

In the button-masher, 1-4 is the same, excepto in 4 you create a variable with value 0, and make it so each button press increases one to that variable, and when it reaches a ceirtain number, you do 5 and 6.

Precise-timed is like the first but more complicated, as you probably will need to check the timer, and if the player hits the button when that timer is in a ceirtain range.