Alternate say screen for a predefined character.

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Zeroized
Regular

Alternate say screen for a predefined character.

#1 Post by Zeroized »

Greetings.
I've been working on a game for a while and I created a battle system. The battle system sends all the messages to a python variable, and then the messages get shown to the player using a Character called "battle_adv".
The problem is that sometimes there are way too many messages on the screen, and battle_adv can't display them all without changing size. I know that the say screen can be adjusted, but I also use the say screen for normal characters.
I want to know if there is a way to create a new say screen only for the battle_adv character, since I want to set the position and the area of the text being displayed and add a scrollable viewport so the player can scroll and see all of the battle messages properly.
Thanks in advance.

rames44
Veteran

Re: Alternate say screen for a predefined character.

#2 Post by rames44 »

The Character class has an optional ‘screen’ parameter that, as I recall, controls the screen used to show that character’s dialog.