Images as menu choices?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
chesarty
Regular
Completed: 0

Images as menu choices?

#1 Post by chesarty »

I've been searching for a way to do this for hours now, reading multiple forum posts (and not understanding what the diddly darn heck they mean) and stuff, and I still haven't found out a solution to this issue.
Basicly, I'm making a dating simulator and for the "Choose your route" menu screen I would like to have character portraits as the choices instead of just their names. So far I've found how to (technically, still dunno how to implement rip) create a choice box with an image AND text, but for my game I don't want any text showing up in the choice boxes.
help pls.png
That's kind of how I'd like the portraits to be placed in the item menu. Is there ANY way to do this, especially as a noobie like me, or have I taken a bite I can't swallow...? :oops:

Meg'
Regular
Projects: Anges Démoniaques, Gang (Alex & Hugo), Le passé dans les veines

Re: Images as menu choices?

#2 Post by Meg' »

Maybe you can make a screen that you call.

"label story:

heroine "bla bla bla bla"

"Now is the time to make a choice..."

call screen the_fatal_choice

And on screens.rpy you create the screen in question.

You can either use an imagemap or imagebuttons. I tend to prefer imagebuttons because you can manage them separately ==>

Code: Select all

screen the_fatal_choice:

imagebutton auto "button_choice_%s.png" xpos 300 ypos 200 action Jump("choice_a")## choice_a, a label to jump to when the player has clicked on the imagebutton
Also for the image, don't forget to use an hover state image and an idle state image like this:

"button_choice_hover.png"
"button_choice_idle.png"

I don't know if my explanations were clear enough? u_u

I hope that helps :)