Splashscreen Won't Work

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes
Organization: Astral Autumn Games
Tumblr: astralautumngames
Deviantart: ArizaLuca
itch: astralautumngames

Splashscreen Won't Work

#1 Post by ArizaLuca »

In a game I made earlier this year, I used a bit of code as a splashscreen code to warn people about content in the game:

Code: Select all

scene bg waiting room
    with dissolve

"This is a fangame and will not be distributed for profit through any methods."

"Astral Autumn Games does not own any of the characters in the game; all trademarked characters are property of Telltale Games and Mojang."

"This is not made in association with Telltale Games in any way; it is a fancreation."

"For further information, please see the 'About' section in the main menu."
    if persistent.start == True:
        return

if persistent.start == False:

"This game speaks freely about mental disorders and illnesses."

"The writers of the game {i}do not claim to know anything{/i} about mental disorders and are {i}not{/i} professionals."

"Individuals who are not comfortable with talking about mental disorders and illnesses may not have an enjoyable experience of the game."

"By agreeing, you are agreeing that you are at least 13+ years of age and willing to be subjected to possibly sensitive topic matters."

menu:

"I agree.":
                return
I've been trying to implement a similar screen using a very similarly formatted code, but it won't start the code.

scene bg black
    with dissolve

"..."

if persistent.start == "Yes":
        jump splashscreenthing

if persistent.start == "No":

"This game speaks freely about sensitive topics that pertain to symptoms of depression or mental disorders."

"These mental disorders or situations may include things such as general anxiety, severe social anxiety, or extremely high levels of stress."

"Individuals who are not comfortable with talking about mental disorders, illnesses, or such may not have an enjoyable experience of the game."

"There is also flashing text and images throughout the game, which may also cause seizure."

"By agreeing, you are agreeing that you are at least 13+ years of age and willing to be subjected to possibly sensitive topic matters, as well as flashing lights and images."

menu:

"I agree.":
                jump splashscreenthing
The code defined in the first one used 'True', and the new code uses 'Yes' and 'No'. However, when I try to run the second code, it goes well up until the "...", upon which it jumps straight to my opening screen. Why is that?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Splashscreen Won't Work

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

Is persistent.start set to "Yes", or "yes"?
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ArizaLuca
Veteran
Completed: Through the Screen, Riddle Me This, Trust Fall, Phobias, Another Adventure
Projects: The Souls in the Seams, Fata Morgana, Minecraft: Story Mode - Behind the Scenes

#3 Post by ArizaLuca »

It is originally set to "No" because you have to actually agree to the content warning to play the game.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

Yes, but I mean when it is set to "Yes", did you use "Yes" or "yes" in the check? The capitalisation of the Y matters.

Twitter

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#5 Post by ArizaLuca »

In both cases they are capitalized properly. Besides, when the game initially begins it is set to "No", which is what I'm trying to jump to. What happens after the "..." is that it skips straight to the splashscreen regardless of if I've hit the persistent.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran

#6 Post by Imperf3kt »

I can't say why it does that without seeing the splash screen thing label, but as a suggestion, have you considered placing the if persistent.start=="No" before the "Yes"?

Twitter

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#7 Post by ArizaLuca »

I have. It still does not work. The code currently is something like:

$ persistent.start = "No"

label splashscreen:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene('Astral Autumn Games Logo.webm')

scene bg black
    with dissolve

"..."

if persistent.start == "No":
        "This game speaks freely about sensitive topics that pertain to symptoms of depression or mental disorders."

"These mental disorders or situations may include things such as general anxiety, severe social anxiety, or extremely high levels of stress."

"Individuals who are not comfortable with talking about mental disorders, illnesses, or such may not have an enjoyable experience of the game."

"There is also flashing text and images throughout the game, which may also cause seizure."

"By agreeing, you are agreeing that you are at least 13+ years of age and willing to be subjected to possibly sensitive topic matters, as well as flashing lights and images."

menu:

"I agree.":
                jump splashscreenthing

if persistent.start == "Yes":
        jump splashscreenthing

label splashscreenthing:

return

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#8 Post by trooper6 »

Why are you using "No" and "Yes" when you could just use True and False? Also, the code is not structured possibly. I did this, which works...but I still have a few questions about how you made your code.

default persistent.start = False

label splashscreen:

$ renpy.movie_cutscene('Astral Autumn Games Logo.webm')

scene bg black
    with dissolve

"..."

if not persistent.start:

menu:
            "I agree.":
                $persistent.start = True
            "I don't agree.":
                $renpy.quit()

jump splashscreenthing

label splashscreenthing:
    "It is the spash screen thing. But why are you jumping here and not to the game's main menu...or to the start of the game?"
    return

A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#9 Post by ArizaLuca »

The thing that I jump to is supposed to hold another quick cutscene that plays regardless if the content warning message was displaying or not.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by trooper6 »

Okay, but you could put that other cutscene in the same label as the warning message. But anyway the code I posted works.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#11 Post by ArizaLuca »

Thank you! But at the same time, that would mean the cutscene would only play after the warning message. Whenever the game starts, the cutscene plays. Regardless of if the warning message is being displayed.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by trooper6 »

What exactly do you want to happen with your game.
Step by step, what exactly do you want to happen?
A Close Shave:

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#13 Post by ArizaLuca »

First cutscene plays.

If the game has not been started before, the content warning shows.

You agree if you're on the content warning.

Regardless of if you have to agree to the content warning or not, a second cutscene plays.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by trooper6 »

That is what the code I posted does.
The only difference is I give the player the option to not agree to the warning and quit the game. Because you are saying this game may traumatize people and then you force them to agree to being traumatized by not giving them a no option. Let them say no and not continue.

Personally, rather than a second splashes screen label I’d put that second cutscene in the splash screen label, because it is far more efficient.
A Close Shave:

ArizaLuca
Veteran

#15 Post by ArizaLuca »

Ah, I was basing that off of DDLC. Thank you.