Suppressing the overlay when hiding window [solved]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
thebackup
Veteran
Completed: Final Week, CardioQuiz, Cafe Memoria, All I Want for Christmas is a Girlfriend, Dating Sim! Re:Mastered, Dating Sim! Luna's Lovely Summer
Projects: Memoria (on hiatus), Cafe Memoria Deux (cancelled)
Organization: PixaelSoft
itch: thebackup

Suppressing the overlay when hiding window [solved]

#1 Post by thebackup »

I'm quite stumped on suppressing / hiding overlays when hiding windows. I have an overlay screen that is added to this config variable:

Code: Select all

init python:
    config.overlay_screens.append("dayinfo")
It displays just fine, but hiding it along with the window is a bit of a problem. These don't work:

scene black with fade
    window hide
    with Pause(1.0)

scene black with fade
    window hide
    hide screen dayinfo
    with Pause(1.0)

scene black with fade
    HideInterface() # I know this is a screen action, but it throws a parsing error, gotta try at least right?
    with Pause(1.0
The "dayinfo" overlay screen just stays on-screen even when the window is hidden. The "HideInterface" screen action is really close to what I'm looking for as it hides the screen overlays, but I'd like to toggle them on/off manually as it goes line-by-line in my script. I've also tried setting this:

define config.overlay_during_with = False
But that jars the overall appearance of my game whenever I show/hide my sprites. Any ideas on toggling overlay screens on/off manually?

------

EDIT
After some digging I found a simple solution, just toggle this variable:

$suppress_overlay = True