Is Renpy suitable for combat orientated games?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Soap

Is Renpy suitable for combat orientated games?

#1 Post by Soap »

I was thinking of creating a game using renpy because the conversations and such are going to be in the visual novel format but I also wanted a fairly deep turn based combat system. I've seen combat systems in renpy before so I know you can do combat but is renpy a suitable engine if I plan on having it really focused on RPG elements like stats, combat, equipment etc? If anyone can link me to good combat systems in renpy I'd appreciate that too.

In terms of the combat system I have in mind it's mostly going to look fairly similar to standard rpgs like Pokemon. If you know of a game called BuriedBorne for mobile that'd be the closest I'm imagining my game to be like.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

Re: Is Renpy suitable for combat orientated games?

#2 Post by trooper6 »

There are a number of combat engines in the Cookbook. You should browse the Cookbook section.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

Soap

#3 Post by Soap »

Yes, I tried them all out but my question is whether or not renpy is suitable for combat orientated games, not whether it is possible. The ones I saw in the cookbook were very simplistic and I'm wondering whether that is because of the engine's limitations or not.

trooper6
Lemma-Class Veteran
Projects: A Close Shave

#4 Post by trooper6 »

Renpy is based in Python...if you can do it in Python you can do it here. I don't recommend a 3D combat system (though there is an example of that in the cookbook)...but you can do a lot of things if you know Python. Or you could just do the whole thing in Unity.
A Close Shave:
*Last Thing Done (Aug 17): Finished coding emotions and camera for 4/10 main labels.
*Currently Doing: Coding of emotions and camera for the labels--On 5/10
*First Next thing to do: Code in all CG and special animation stuff
*Next Next thing to do: Set up film animation
*Other Thing to Do: Do SFX and Score (maybe think about eye blinks?)
Check out My Clock Cookbook Recipe: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 51&t=21978

philat
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by philat »

Hard to say what "suitable" means. Really anything is POSSIBLE in ren'py, but it is going to be as performant as Unity if the system gets super heavy? Probably not. Then again, is Unity going to be as performant as Unreal or Frostbite or whatever if you're trying to make a AAA game? Probably not. So it depends on what you want to do. I don't know to what extent you're thinking for "combat heavy", but afaik Loren the Amazon Princess is a pretty full-fledged RPG with stats, equipment and combat formations (frontline/backline mechanics), etc., and that was made in Ren'py.

As an aside, I would imagine the reason the cookbook entries are relatively simple is that if anybody's gone to the effort of making a commercial-level combat engine in Ren'py, it's probably a) specific-enough to that game that it's not easily customizable and therefore not very cookbook-y, and b) the result of a LOT of development time, so the creators may not be as willing to share it on the forum.

Soap

#6 Post by Soap »

Thank you, I was looking for a renpy games with good examples of combat systems to see Renpy's possible capabilities and Loren the Amazon Princess looks like it has a fully fledged one.