[solved] Mixed EOL characters detected?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Nanahs
Veteran

[solved] Mixed EOL characters detected?

#1 Post by Nanahs »

My Renpy stopped building android package all of a sudden.

I tried building it with many different projects, even the ones that I had built before to test.

Apparently the problem is not on the game I was tring to build package, because even the ones I had alreday built package (successfully) before didn't accept this time.

This keeps showing:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/10sO4F3 ... vJjx6/view

I have no idea what happened.
Does anyone know?

Thanks.
Last edited by Nanahs on Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Mixed EOL characters detected?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

That's a common error message of your text editor (editra?) and unrelated to your actual issue.

The problem as described in the traceback file is
The number of method references in a .dex file cannot exceed 64K.

I don't know what this means, but it is likely something to do with Gradle.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Nanahs
Veteran

#3 Post by Nanahs »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 pm That's a common error message of your text editor (editra?) and unrelated to your actual issue.

The problem as described in the traceback file is
The number of method references in a .dex file cannot exceed 64K.

I don't know what this means, but it is likely something to do with Gradle.
Yes, apparently that's a problem with Gradle. And I also have no idea what that means at all.
The weird thing is that this happened all of a sudden. I didn't change anything on my computer nor on my game codes.
So I have no idea where that error came from hah

I found I few answers on Google about it, but since they're not using Renpy, I don't know how to apply their solutions.

I hope I can find a solution soon. Cause one of the games I'm working on is a present for my friends. That would be frustrating if I had worked all this months on it and now when I am almost finishing it, I can't create an apk hah
But that's ok. I'll keep editing it. Maybe I can get it fixed later :)

Thanks for always trying to help :)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

If you need the .apk in a hurry, you could always zip up the game folder and send it to someone you trust on here, to build it for you.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Nanahs
Veteran

#5 Post by Nanahs »

Imperf3kt wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:15 pm If you need the .apk in a hurry, you could always zip up the game folder and send it to someone you trust on here, to build it for you.
Yeah, by now I'll keep editing the game and see what happens. I can test it on my (old) notebook too hah

rames44
Veteran

#6 Post by rames44 »

The original error, "Mixed EOL characters detected," is likely a result of the fact that Windows and Linux use different conventions for "end of line." Under Windows, text files use two characters - "Carriage Return" and "Line Feed" (a.k.a. "\r" and "\n") to end a line. Under Linux, only one character - "Line Feed" - is used. (BTW, the "n" in "\n" comes from "newline".) So if you have a file that someone created under Linux and then you edit it under Windows, or vice versa, you can run into a situation in which different lines have been given different endings. Your editor is warning you that it has found that, and is offering to convert all the lines to use the Windows convention.

This doesn't have anything to do with the APK issue.

When you write Android programs using Java, the java class files are transmogrified into the "APK" file format. Java, like Python, has "classes" and "methods." For internal technical reasons, the APK file format essentially numbers every method of every class uniquely. And that number has to fit in a 16-bit integer. So if you have more than 64K methods, your program won't fit into a single APK. There are techniques for breaking such a program up into multiple APK files, which is what the reference you've been given is mentioning.

Now, that being said, I don't know how PyTom's "Ren'py-to-Android" stuff works. But it sounds like you have a Ren'py program that, in some way, shape or form, is generating, well, "too many notes." (Sorry - bad Amadeus reference.) So many that it won't fit into the APK file format.

Best thing to do, in this case, is to contact PyTom and see if he can give you some advice on what to do.

Nanahs
Veteran

#7 Post by Nanahs »

rames44 wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 9:30 pm The original error, "Mixed EOL characters detected," is likely a result of the fact that Windows and Linux use different conventions for "end of line." Under Windows, text files use two characters - "Carriage Return" and "Line Feed" (a.k.a. "\r" and "\n") to end a line. Under Linux, only one character - "Line Feed" - is used. (BTW, the "n" in "\n" comes from "newline".) So if you have a file that someone created under Linux and then you edit it under Windows, or vice versa, you can run into a situation in which different lines have been given different endings. Your editor is warning you that it has found that, and is offering to convert all the lines to use the Windows convention.

This doesn't have anything to do with the APK issue.

When you write Android programs using Java, the java class files are transmogrified into the "APK" file format. Java, like Python, has "classes" and "methods." For internal technical reasons, the APK file format essentially numbers every method of every class uniquely. And that number has to fit in a 16-bit integer. So if you have more than 64K methods, your program won't fit into a single APK. There are techniques for breaking such a program up into multiple APK files, which is what the reference you've been given is mentioning.

Now, that being said, I don't know how PyTom's "Ren'py-to-Android" stuff works. But it sounds like you have a Ren'py program that, in some way, shape or form, is generating, well, "too many notes." (Sorry - bad Amadeus reference.) So many that it won't fit into the APK file format.

Best thing to do, in this case, is to contact PyTom and see if he can give you some advice on what to do.
Thanks for your explanation! :)
The weird thing is that the same exact game that I had build the apk before, and that I really didn't change anything in the code, Renpy doesn't build it anymore. And I tested with lots of differents ones. But that's ok. By now I'll keep editing and then I'll try again. I can also test it on my notebook.
Thanks for your help :)

Nanahs
Veteran

#8 Post by Nanahs »

I could finally fix the problem. I unistalled Java 8 and installed again. Now it's working :)
Thanks for taking the time to help guys :)