[Solved] Spacing between menu choices in NVL Mode?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
bluebat

[Solved] Spacing between menu choices in NVL Mode?

#1 Post by bluebat »

Hi, everyone! I'm still a bit of a new user when it comes to Ren'Py, and I'm in the middle of making an NVL style game.

I'm trying to make the spaces between choices that pop up from a menu statement a bit bigger, as some of the choices in the game are quite long dialogue options. Right now, they look like this...

...But this obviously isn't very nice to look at, so I'd like to put some space between each option. I've tried fiddling around with the number in gui.choice_spacing, but it didn't change anything for me. I've also used \n quite a bit so they don't crawl off the page, if that makes any difference. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and I'm sorry if this is an obvious question! Thank you!
Last edited by bluebat on Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
So much code, so little time...

bluebat

Re: Spacing between menu choices in NVL Mode?

#2 Post by bluebat »

Hi again! Sorry for the double post, but I figured out how to fix this problem. I thought I'd post the solution in case anyone else needs it.

I was using \n to make sure long lines of dialogue didn't trail off the nvl frame I had set, but that also was making a lot of my menu options look ugly and squished together (see pic above.) It turns out, however, that that was also the solution to my problem!

You're going to want to put \n at the end of every line that's giving you trouble. It's also important to put one at the end of any line that comes before your problem area (the "What should I say" in the example below), or else your menu text will start to crawl up the page, and might end up squishing against your narrator/dialogue/etc text. Here's an example:

Code: Select all

"What should I say?\n"

menu:
"\"This is just another example of a line of dialogue.\nI sure do like to talk, don't I?\"\n":
	jump whatever
"\"This is a third example of a line of dialogue..\nI just can't get enough of this talking stuff.\"\n":
	jump whatever
If the spacing is still looking weird to you, you can also double up your line breaks and use \n\n to put even more space between the lines. Hope that helps somebody out there, and if anybody's got an even easier fix, then feel free to chime in.
So much code, so little time...