Ren'Py 7.1.3 Released

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Ren'Py 7.1.3 Released

#1 Post by PyTom »

I'm happy to announce Ren'Py 7.1.3. This is the third bug release for Ren'Py 7.1, which improves Ren'Py while fixing issues.

There have also been a few feature additions. Some of the highlights are:
  • Transforms that are used once in a screen can now be defined inline.
  • Choice menus can now display as insensitive buttons items selected by the if clause.
  • It is now possible to set variables inside a used screen.
  • Ren'Py can now automatically detect the language of the player's system and select the correct translation.
  • The French, German, Korean, Russian, and Simplified Chinese translations have been updated.
Some of the more important bugfixes include:
  • A bug that caused Arabic text to display as squares on Windows has been fixed.
  • Lint now handles several cases correctly, including layered images.
  • As Ren'Py generally could not created proper android packages with a 32-bit Java 8, it now requires a 64-bit Java Development Kit.
Downloads of 7.1.3 can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/release/7.1.3

A full list of changes to Ren'Py can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/changelog.html

A list of changes that may require you to update your game can be found at:

https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/incompatible.html

Please also check out the credits and sponsor list.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Re: Ren'Py 7.1.3 Released

#2 Post by PyTom »

I took a mulligan on 7.1.2, and re-released it as 7.1.3.

I had accidentally left in test code that would cause games to switch themselves to the Russian translation on an initial run, if one was available, as it is for the launcher and tutorial. Since it was a one-line change, I immediately made the release last night.

Zokijauken

#3 Post by Zokijauken »

This is really useful.

Thank you.
I wanted to know if they could solve my problem, download the renpy7.1.3 I installed java 8 and the corresponding sdk, but when creating a project to android I get this error.

Ren'Py 7.1.3.1092

Updating project.

Creating assets directory.

Packaging internal data.

I'm using Gradle to build the package.

FAILURE: Build failed with an exception.

* What went wrong:
A problem occurred configuring root project 'project'.
> Could not resolve all files for configuration ':classpath'.
> Could not resolve com.android.tools.build:gradle:3.1.3.
Required by:
project :
> Could not get resource 'https://dl.google.com/dl/android/maven2 ... -3.1.3.pom'.
> Could not GET 'https://dl.google.com/dl/android/maven2 ... -3.1.3.pom'.
> dl.google.com
> Could not get resource 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android ... -3.1.3.pom'.
> Could not GET 'https://jcenter.bintray.com/com/android ... -3.1.3.pom'.
> jcenter.bintray.com

* Try:
Run with --stacktrace option to get the stack trace. Run with --info or --debug option to get more log output. Run with --scan to get full insights.

* Get more help at https://help.gradle.org

BUILD FAILED in 1s

The build seems to have failed.

I hope you can help me, I'm a novice in this and I do not understand a lot of programming-

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#4 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Hey PyTom, thanks for your continued work! Not sure if this is better here or in the questions section, it seems relevant here.

I had issues recently when creating an android build with 7.1.1, they seem to be influenced by other games I have built.

The last game that I built (game 1) seems to be affecting the current attempts to build a completely different older game that I am updating (game 2).
I tried building two builds of game 2, and both had issues.

The first build kept only the name of game 2 but the game built was game 1, second build came out as game 2 but with icon of game 1 and in portrait mode(like game 1) instead of landscape (as in game 2).

Game 2 has been on the play store for over a year and has always been landscape, also it plays as landscape on Renpy on the PC. I also chose "in landscape orientation" in the configure dialog.

Also, even though I changed the application version number and version code, the second build erased the first, and the file naming was bizarre (it created 3 armeabi files[why 3?] for each build with completely wrong version numbers).

Speaking of which, I cant see a game 1 -1.0-dists folder anywhere, so now I am wondering if those distributions had gone to the wrong place, perhaps the game 2 dist folder. It has been about a month since I last built a game 1 distribution, so I can't remember what had happened there, will test in the near future.

Please note, the games are not called game 1 and game 2, they have completely different names and they are completely different games that are unlikely to have much if any shared code.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

#5 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

ComputerArt.Club wrote: Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:26 am Hey PyTom, thanks for your continued work! Not sure if this is better here or in the questions section, it seems relevant here.

I had issues recently when creating an android build with 7.1.1, they seem to be influenced by other games I have built.

The last game that I built (game 1) seems to be affecting the current attempts to build a completely different older game that I am updating (game 2).
I tried building two builds of game 2, and both had issues.

The first build kept only the name of game 2 but the game built was game 1, second build came out as game 2 but with icon of game 1 and in portrait mode(like game 1) instead of landscape (as in game 2).

Game 2 has been on the play store for over a year and has always been landscape, also it plays as landscape on Renpy on the PC. I also chose "in landscape orientation" in the configure dialog.

Also, even though I changed the application version number and version code, the second build erased the first, and the file naming was bizarre (it created 3 armeabi files[why 3?] for each build with completely wrong version numbers).

Speaking of which, I cant see a game 1 -1.0-dists folder anywhere, so now I am wondering if those distributions had gone to the wrong place, perhaps the game 2 dist folder. It has been about a month since I last built a game 1 distribution, so I can't remember what had happened there, will test in the near future.

Please note, the games are not called game 1 and game 2, they have completely different names and they are completely different games that are unlikely to have much if any shared code.
I've updated to 7.1.3 and the issues seem to have gone away. :)

monkeykg
Regular
Projects: DATE KNIGHT
Tumblr: monkeywiki

#6 Post by monkeykg »

Oof, hello! it's been awhile since I updated Ren'py (7.0.0.123 or something)

Before, this worked:

Code: Select all

scene black delay 1.0 with Dissolve(1.0) 
now I get this error.

Image 'black' does not accept attributes 'delay 1.0'
What do I replace this with? every single transition in my game so far pretty much used this.

AERenoir
Veteran

#7 Post by AERenoir »

The custom caret animation freeze that I had has been resolved, but the "FileScreenshot" issue is not.
I'm wondering if there's something about Ren'py that prohibits "FileTakeScreenshot" to be activated via a keypress.
My code looks like this:

key "input_enter" action [FileTakeScreenshot(), Return()]
Should I have written something else instead of [key "input_enter"]?
The last build I remember this code to be functioning is 6.99.14. Since this is not noted in the "incompatible" list, I don't know what to do to fix this. Any workaround for this?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#8 Post by PyTom »

monkeykg>>>

I'm not sure what to tell you. "delay 1.0" isn't meaningful here, the improvement is Ren'Py is now actually telling you that.

AERenior>>>

Can you put together an example for me? I haven't been following that problem, and it's hard to understand what's wrong without seeing it in context.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#9 Post by jack_norton »

Having issues trying to build for Android again :( the build succeeds and it starts, but it remains stuck on the loading screen forever. Unfortunately with this new device USB debugging doesn't work so I can't even used logcat !
Anyone else has such issue?

EDIT: Lol nevermind, if you build with the Amazon appstore IAP, it doesn't start! Before it was working fine, so that's what confused me :mrgreen:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#10 Post by jack_norton »

It seems the Amazon build is bugged. I tried to rebuild it, uploaded to Amazon but says 0 supported devices. The API target level is correct. So my guess is that the current Ren'Py "somehow" builds broken Amazon builds! :O
computer games

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by jack_norton »

I found another difference vs before. As you remember Pytom before I could do:

default mainc="joshua"
    image i_pc = "[mainc]"
and then in the game story use statement like:
show i_pc uniform1 sad

and it worked. Now, it doesn't work anymore. So I'm guessing that change you did got lost in the update? the change was this one:
https://github.com/renpy/renpy/commit/d ... f268962e7e
and in the code is the same, so I am guessing that something else reverted back to the old behavior :( thanks
computer games

monkeykg
Regular
Projects: DATE KNIGHT
Tumblr: monkeywiki

#12 Post by monkeykg »

PyTom wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 10:37 am monkeykg>>>

I'm not sure what to tell you. "delay 1.0" isn't meaningful here, the improvement is Ren'Py is now actually telling you that.

AERenior>>>

Can you put together an example for me? I haven't been following that problem, and it's hard to understand what's wrong without seeing it in context.
Well, i'm just looking to know what to replace it with, i'm not sure what the alternative to it is, i used it to transition scenes, but with a one second delay.

kendy

#13 Post by kendy »

Ren'Py engine does support for android P (9.0)?

AERenoir
Veteran

#14 Post by AERenoir »

@ PyTom: I cannto replicate the problem with a new file. Let me send you my project through PM. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

AERenoir
Veteran

#15 Post by AERenoir »

Uh... this is the code I had. Maybe I'm just using a bad format or bad code... The intention is to have an input screen that's animated. Since I actualyl need it to animate AFTER the person inputs their name, I opted to use a screenshot of the screen to do the animation.

This code still works in Renpy 6.99.14. I've not changed the code. After 7.1, the screenshot suddenly does not show up in the animated screen.

In screens.rpy:

##############################################################################
# Input
#
# Screen that's used to display renpy.input()
# http://www.renpy.org/doc/html/screen_special.html#input
image mycaret: 
    "brush.png"
    yoffset -5
    pause .4
    yoffset 5
    pause.4
    repeat
image brush:
    "mycaret"
    xalign 0 yalign .9
init python:
   def SetThumbnailFull():
        config.thumbnail_width = config.screen_width
        config.thumbnail_height = config.screen_height
   #def entername(newstring):
   #     store.firstname = newstring
   def entername(input_text):
        global firstname
        firstname = input_text
init:
    $ style.input.caret = "brush"
    default firstname = "Eileen"

screen inputname:
    add "name2.jpg"
    input default firstname changed entername  xpos 574 ypos 433 size 120 length 9 color "#000" 
    key "input_enter" action [FileTakeScreenshot(), Jump("done")]

screen rolls:

add FileCurrentScreenshot() 
    add "rollup2"
In Script.rpy:

label start:

scene sign
    show unroll
    $renpy.pause(1)

call screen inputname

label done: