Manually calling the load screen

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
hrodohaidis
Tumblr: aevintyrlost
Deviantart: aevintyrlost

Manually calling the load screen

#1 Post by hrodohaidis »

Instead of the default main menu, I wanted to replace it with an 'animal-crossing-esque' type screen where you are greeted by a character in the game. I've gotten this to almost fully work, except I can't figure out how to call the load screen without the use of a button.

Preferably, I'd like the main menu to be 'dialog-orientated'--i.e., no menu buttons to press. I assume that, since the load screen is a screen defined in screens.py, there should be a way to call it in this context. If not, using textbuttons wouldn't be the end of the world.

Right now this is my basic code...

Code: Select all

label main_menu:
	'Have I seen you around here before?'
		menu: 
			'Yes.':
				# This is where I would want to call the load screen.
				ShowMenu('load')

'No, I'm new.':
				# Using return in the main menu *should* start the game at the start label
				return
I've also attempted call, show, etc...
I'm guessing there's probably an obvious solution to this but I just can't figure it out... I think most of the methods I'm trying are outdated in some way. Or maybe I'm just forgetting something really small and simple.
Any ideas?

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Manually calling the load screen

#2 Post by Alex »

You can use screen actions outside the screen, try

Code: Select all

$ ShowMenu('load')()