[solved] Finding the right android.keystore file

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

[solved] Finding the right android.keystore file

#1 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

I knew this day was coming, I have had too many versions of Android and not always been careful enough with keystore file management whilst switching between versions and trying to solve problems.

I have quite a few versions of Renpy with potentially different versions of android keystore files, and while trying to update an old app on the playstore I got an error message that the certificate's SHA1 fingerprints didn't match.

Now I need to find the correct keystore file and use it to update my game. So as I try to hunt down the correct keystore file, is there any way I can know that the fingerprints are for a keystore file without building a new apk and uploading it?

Is there a certain type of software I need to use?
Do I need to type a particular command?

Thanks so much for taking the time to read this.
Last edited by ComputerArt.Club on Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: Finding the right android.keystore file

#2 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

Eventually I found the correct key by creating builds and trying to upload them to Google Play, but not before downloading a program called IgorWare Hasher which did display sha 1 hash results, but they did not appear to be the same ones that Google Play is showing, so it did not help. Instead it ended up being the keystore file that was modified on the date closest to the release of my game. I noticed that the date modified for the keystore file stayed the same despite being reused in multiple versions (as I did try to reuse them, just I was not consistent or careful enough).

On a side note, it looks like the new API will mean that the games won't run on older devices (about 20% of devices), a bit of a shame as I think my old Samsung galaxy note 2 was included in the list., I always liked that it could still run Renpy games. That was one of the severe warnings that Renpy game me when releasing the update.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Re: [solved] Finding the right android.keystore file

#3 Post by PyTom »

Ren'Py now supports Android 19 and up. Looking at https://developer.android.com/about/dashboards/ , that means we should support 96.5% of devices out there (or alternatively, omit 3.5%), with the oldest version Ren'Py supports having been released in 2013, and the last unsupported release having stopped being updated on October 7th, 2013.

It sucks to drop support for old hardware, but the libraries don't support it, and it's time.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom