How to place name (who) above the text window [SOLVED]

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
pi3shark
Completed: Get Hired!, Testisim
Projects: Testisim Vol.2
Tumblr: hermannco
Deviantart: pi3shark

How to place name (who) above the text window [SOLVED]

#1 Post by pi3shark »

As self explanatory as it is, I can't get the thing to work, I have been reading and trying solutions but either they are outdated or I just don't get it.
The change is visually simple, I just can't get it to work no matter how much I've been messing with the code and following examples.
This is how mine looks: Image
And this is how I want it to look Image
I want it above the box. And yes I tried the old code and it didn't work. (Ignore the color, that's just about right)
All help would be appreciated.
Last edited by pi3shark on Fri Dec 07, 2018 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: How to place name (who) above the text window

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

pi3shark wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm As self explanatory as it is, I can't get the thing to work, I have been reading and trying solutions but either they are outdated or I just don't get it.
The change is visually simple, I just can't get it to work no matter how much I've been messing with the code and following examples.
This is how mine looks: Image
And this is how I want it to look Image
I want it above the box. And yes I tried the old code and it didn't work. (Ignore the color, that's just about right)
All help would be appreciated.
Find the following text in gui.rpy

## The placement of the speaking character's name, relative to the textbox.
## These can be a whole number of pixels from the left or top, or 0.5 to center.
define gui.name_xpos = 129
define gui.name_ypos = -25

Setting gui.name_ypos to a negative value and you should have the name placed higher than the textbox.

pi3shark
Completed: Get Hired!, Testisim
Projects: Testisim Vol.2
Tumblr: hermannco
Deviantart: pi3shark

Re: How to place name (who) above the text window

#3 Post by pi3shark »

Per K Grok wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:57 pm
Find the following text in gui.rpy

## The placement of the speaking character's name, relative to the textbox.
## These can be a whole number of pixels from the left or top, or 0.5 to center.
define gui.name_xpos = 129
define gui.name_ypos = -25

Setting gui.name_ypos to a negative value and you should have the name placed higher than the textbox.
Yeah that works, I was editing things in the screen section no wonder it didn't change anything. Thank you