Episodic VN - Easy way to update monthly?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
gildedtrash

Episodic VN - Easy way to update monthly?

#1 Post by gildedtrash »

Hey all! I currently have a VN in development where we've released two chapters so far (on itch.io as a dl) and will be releasing a chapter every month for the foreseeable future. For the second chapter we simply re-uploaded the whole game again, but this time including chapter two.

Going forward, I'd like to know if there's a way for us to simply upload the updated script and new images required for each new chapter instead of uploading the whole game every month (and thus increasing the upload and download size of the game!). I've looked into the web updater but we're not looking to have our own site to host, we're quite happy with itch.io as it provides us with a nice income with their easy-to-use donation system whenever a chapter drops.

We have archived our files so the script and images are compressed into .rpa files, so is there a way we can do this so that we JUST upload the new chapter each time with the new content required for the users to copy and paste into their existing game folder?

Thank you in advance for any advice! This is our first time putting something out and we're learning as we go, so be gentle ;)

CoolerMudkip
Regular
Completed: Memories~ Megami no hogo-sha [Demo]
Projects: Northward
Tumblr: CoolerMudkip
Github: ztc0611
itch: MorallyGay
Discord: MorallyGay#5861

Re: Episodic VN - Easy way to update monthly?

#2 Post by CoolerMudkip »

This may not work, but it is at least an idea. You can have it check for each script file, so like if your scripts are called Chapter1.rpy and Chapter2.rpy, you could have it search for Chapter2.rpy when you reach the end of Chapter 1, and if it doesn't exist, it returns to the title screen, but if it does, you jump to the beginning of that script.

reveusebanale

#3 Post by reveusebanale »

Hey ! I can't reply, but I have question like. I wish know if it's possible to update a Ren'Py game wich he was already shared within lose the progession of the gamers ?
I think I don't explain very well so... ahem... maybe an example ?
If I make, a episodic VN, it's possible to share every chapter after the first publication within the gamers must re-played the beginning and within lose the informations of his game ?
Maybe for a game like Candle Sweet (Amour Sucré) or Eldarya (I don't know the nam in english) who are update regularly ?

Sorry for my english, I'm a french student.
I hope I do not bother ^^'
R.B.

CoolerMudkip
Regular
Completed: Memories~ Megami no hogo-sha [Demo]
Projects: Northward
Tumblr: CoolerMudkip
Github: ztc0611
itch: MorallyGay
Discord: MorallyGay#5861

#4 Post by CoolerMudkip »

reveusebanale wrote: Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:56 pm If I make, a episodic VN, it's possible to share every chapter after the first publication within the gamers must re-played the beginning and within lose the informations of his game ?
If you add more script to the game in an update, the save file will keep the same place in the script. If you make it force save right before the end of each chapter, when reloaded, it would play the next Chapter if present.

xavimat
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Yeshua, Jesus Life, Cops&Robbers
Projects: Fear&Love
Organization: Pilgrim Creations
Github: xavi-mat
itch: pilgrimcreations
Discord: xavimat

#5 Post by xavimat »

gildedtrash wrote: Sat Dec 08, 2018 5:06 pmWe have archived our files so the script and images are compressed into .rpa files, so is there a way we can do this so that we JUST upload the new chapter each time with the new content required for the users to copy and paste into their existing game folder?
Pretty easy.
You can use the renpy.has_label() function. ( https://renpy.org/doc/html/label.html#renpy.has_label )
When your players have copy-pasted the rpa file with new chapters and then open the game, it will find the new chapters.

I don't know how your players can access the new chapters (from main menu? from the end of former chapter? must they finish first a chapter to access the next? or maybe can they access any chapter at will without finishing former chapters?).
So this code will:
- search for existing chapters every time your game is lauched.
- at the end of every chapter, ask with a menu if player wants to jump to the next one or to the main_menu.
- put a button for every chapter in the main menu (or in a screen accessible from the main_menu). It will be sensitive only if the player has finished former chapter.

Code: Select all

define persistent.chapter_finished = 0
default chapter = 0

init python:

chapters_list = []

for i in range(1,99):
        if renpy.has_label("chapter_"+str(i)):
            chapters_list.append(i)

# Start every chapter with the word "chapter" an underscore and the number:
label chapter_1:
    # ...
label chapter_2:
    # ...
label chapter_3:
    # ...

# At the end of every chapter update the number of the chapter and jump:
label chapter_1_ending:
    $ chapter = 1
    jump chapter_ending

label chapter_ending:

$ persistent.chapter_finished = chapter

menu:
        "Go to next chapter" if chapter + 1 in chapters_list:
            jump expression "chapter_" + str(chapter+1)
        "Return to main menu":
            $ renpy.full_restart

# Add this vbox in the main menu (or in a new screen accessible from the main menu)    
    vbox:
        for i in chapters_list:            
            textbutton "Chapter [i]":
                action [SensitiveIf(persistent.chapter_finished >= i-1), 
                    Start("chapter_"+str(i))]
Comunidad Ren'Py en español: ¡Únete a nuestro Discord!
Rhaier Kingdom A Ren'Py Multiplayer Adventure Visual Novel.
Cops&Robbers A two-player experiment | Fear&Love Why can't we say I love you?
Honest Critique (Avatar made with Chibi Maker by ~gen8)