Custom textbox doesn't appear in-game

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
DBMalachite

Custom textbox doesn't appear in-game

#1 Post by DBMalachite »

I'm trying to give each character their own custom textbox but when I use the following code:

define k = Character("Kia", color = "#e27a24", window_background = "gui/k_textbox.png")

No textbox appears, only the character's name and dialogue.
The custom textbox is the exact same size as the regular textbox so I don't think it's off-screen.
I'm new to using Renpy so I apologize if this is something really simple to fix!

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Custom textbox doesn't appear in-game

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

DBMalachite wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:58 pm I'm trying to give each character their own custom textbox but when I use the following code:

define k = Character("Kia", color = "#e27a24", window_background = "gui/k_textbox.png")

No textbox appears, only the character's name and dialogue.
The custom textbox is the exact same size as the regular textbox so I don't think it's off-screen.
I'm new to using Renpy so I apologize if this is something really simple to fix!
The script looks correct. I suspect there is something different with the k_textbox.png image.
If you open up the ordinary textbox image and the k_textbox image in a graphic editor as layers, do they really match up with each other?

DBMalachite

Re: Custom textbox doesn't appear in-game

#3 Post by DBMalachite »

Both textboxes were the exact same size as each other but I think I figured out what I did wrong. Both of the images were as large as the game's resolution and when I put them into an image with less empty space it worked.