Help with overflow error and rendering error

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
louiehit123
Deviantart: louiehit123

Help with overflow error and rendering error

#1 Post by louiehit123 »

[issue]I'm somewhat new on Ren'Py, but I've been working on this game for about 8 months and have stumbled upon no real issues. However once I finished my script when I went to test it and a text file keeps popping up saying I've got an abundance of issues, some errors are even on lines that don't have code at all, I'm very confused and would appreciate some help. I'm sorry if it's a stupid issue, this is my first time with Ren'Py [/issue]

The issue is here

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

After loading the script.
OverflowError: value too large to convert to short

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\bootstrap.py", line 306, in bootstrap
renpy.main.main()
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\main.py", line 415, in main
if renpy.parser.report_parse_errors():
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\parser.py", line 2664, in report_parse_errors
renpy.display.error.report_parse_errors(full_text, error_fn)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\error.py", line 185, in report_parse_errors
error_fn=error_fn,
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\game.py", line 279, in invoke_in_new_context
return callable(*args, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\error.py", line 43, in call_exception_screen
return renpy.ui.interact(mouse="screen", type="screen", suppress_overlay=True, suppress_underlay=True)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\ui.py", line 287, in interact
rv = renpy.game.interface.interact(roll_forward=roll_forward, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2649, in interact
repeat, rv = self.interact_core(preloads=preloads, trans_pause=trans_pause, **kwargs)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 3132, in interact_core
self.draw_screen(root_widget, fullscreen_video, (not fullscreen_video) or video_frame_drawn)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\core.py", line 2055, in draw_screen
renpy.config.screen_height,
File "render.pyx", line 485, in renpy.display.render.render_screen
File "render.pyx", line 233, in renpy.display.render.render
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 717, in render
surf = render(child, width, height, cst, cat)
File "render.pyx", line 145, in renpy.display.render.render
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 717, in render
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\screen.py", line 669, in render
child = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, w, h, st, at)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1117, in render
st, at)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1564, in render
cwidth, cheight = sizeit('c', width, height, 0, 0)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1559, in sizeit
rend = render(pos_d[pos], width, height, st, at)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1564, in render
cwidth, cheight = sizeit('c', width, height, 0, 0)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 1559, in sizeit
rend = render(pos_d[pos], width, height, st, at)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\viewport.py", line 262, in render
surf = renpy.display.render.render(self.child, child_width, child_height, st, at)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\display\layout.py", line 919, in render
surf = render(d, width - x, rh, cst, cat)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\text\text.py", line 1837, in render
layout = Layout(self, width, height, renders, splits_from=virtual_layout)
File "C:\Users\perkamern herks\Desktop\the chance to do something\renpy-6.99.12.2-sdk\renpy\text\text.py", line 706, in __init__
textsupport.tweak_glyph_spacing(all_glyphs, lines, target_x - maxx, target_y - y, maxx, y) # @UndefinedVariable
File "textsupport.pyx", line 944, in renpy.text.textsupport.tweak_glyph_spacing
File "textsupport.pxd", line 75, in renpy.text.textsupport.Line.y.__set__
OverflowError: value too large to convert to short

Windows-8-6.2.9200
Ren'Py 7.0.0.196

Wed Dec 12 04:13:41 2018

AstralWire
Organization: Astral Wire Studios

Re: Help with overflow error and rendering error

#2 Post by AstralWire »

you've created a textbox more than 32767 pixels wide. most likely, you accidentally pressed the spacebar too many times or something
Professional programmer with four years experience in the Video Game Industry.
Can't afford a programmer but have art skills? No problem! Check this out
Would you like Live2D animation for your sprites but are working on a limited budget? You can always negotiate with me.