Positioning character dialogue boxes

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Exiscoming
Regular

Positioning character dialogue boxes

#1 Post by Exiscoming »

I can define characters and give them custom dialogue boxes, but how do I customize a dialogue box per character?
For example:
  • Dialogue box position
  • Side image position (characters appearing left, right or center, depending on the character.)
  • Character name position
If I go into my gui.rpy and edit it, it changed it for all custom character (so they're all left, or all right, etc.)
I may want to do something like this:

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: Positioning character dialogue boxes

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Exiscoming wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:53 am I can define characters and give them custom dialogue boxes, but how do I customize a dialogue box per character?
For example:
  • Dialogue box position
  • Side image position (characters appearing left, right or center, depending on the character.)
  • Character name position
If I go into my gui.rpy and edit it, it changed it for all custom character (so they're all left, or all right, etc.)
I may want to do something like this:

You can go to the screen.rpy and look for the text on the 'Say screen'

look for "style window:" copy that label and the text belonging to it. Paste the copy below that block of script. Rename the new text to "style window2:" Change the script for the position of the window to your liking.

You can use the new window for a character this way

define F = Character("Fling", window_style="window2")

If you don't say anything about window_style, "window" will be used.

Exiscoming
Regular

Re: Positioning character dialogue boxes

#3 Post by Exiscoming »

Thanks that helped me along! The rest I figured out by googling.