How to disable quick buttons at bottom? like skip, auto, history, Q.save. I can't find proper solution

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Nikois

How to disable quick buttons at bottom? like skip, auto, history, Q.save. I can't find proper solution

#1 Post by Nikois »

Hello, I am a rookie in the coding world and more likely you can say new, I just wanna ask you guys is how do I disable those quick buttons at bottom of the screen when you play the game, I am talking about those small buttons back, history, skip, auto, save, load, Q.save, Q.load and prefs at bottom. I have been searching the threads but I couldn't find much of it because its kind of out dated and not working for me, I don't know it might be working but I don't understand much of it because my English not that good.

Thank you very much

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

Re: How to disable quick buttons at bottom? like skip, auto, history, Q.save. I can't find proper solution

#2 Post by Per K Grok »

Nikois wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 am Hello, I am a rookie in the coding world and more likely you can say new, I just wanna ask you guys is how do I disable those quick buttons at bottom of the screen when you play the game, I am talking about those small buttons back, history, skip, auto, save, load, Q.save, Q.load and prefs at bottom. I have been searching the threads but I couldn't find much of it because its kind of out dated and not working for me, I don't know it might be working but I don't understand much of it because my English not that good.

Thank you very much
Go to screen.rpy
find 'screen quick_menu():'

comment that block out

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How to disable quick buttons at bottom? like skip, auto, history, Q.save. I can't find proper solution

#3 Post by Imperf3kt »

Per K Grok wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:26 pm
Nikois wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 7:46 am Hello, I am a rookie in the coding world and more likely you can say new, I just wanna ask you guys is how do I disable those quick buttons at bottom of the screen when you play the game, I am talking about those small buttons back, history, skip, auto, save, load, Q.save, Q.load and prefs at bottom. I have been searching the threads but I couldn't find much of it because its kind of out dated and not working for me, I don't know it might be working but I don't understand much of it because my English not that good.

Thank you very much
Go to screen.rpy

comment that block out
An easier way is to add
$quick_menu = False
Directly after label start. This way, the quick menu can be re-enabled when desired.

However, OP stated to disable it, not remove it. Though I am not sure that is what was meant, so will just leave the answer for removing it.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Nikois

#4 Post by Nikois »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:43 pm
Per K Grok wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Thank you very much
Go to screen.rpy

comment that block out
An easier way is to add
$quick_menu = False
Directly after label start. This way, the quick menu can be re-enabled when desired.

However, OP stated to disable it, not remove it. Though I am not sure that is what was meant, so will just leave the answer for removing it.
Thanks you very much Imperf3kt it worked :)
I not sure what Per K Grok mean by block out, I used # in front of that line. I don't know if I wrong because i don't know much about coding.

Per K Grok
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: the Ghost Pilot, Sea of Lost Ships, Bubbles and the Pterodactyls, Defenders of Adacan Part 1-3, the Phantom Flyer
itch: per-k-grok

#5 Post by Per K Grok »

Nikois wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:51 pm ---
I not sure what Per K Grok mean by block out, I used # in front of that line. I don't know if I wrong because i don't know much about coding.
It is comment out, which is to put an # in front of a line, taking it out of the script and making into a comment.

What should be commented out was the block of code beginning with the line 'screen quick_menu():'.
That is the first line and all lines directly after that that belong to the block by being indented (started with 4 [or more] white space).

Just taking out the first line might have some unexpected consequences. That block of code would then become part of the block above it.

Using Imperf3kt's solution, which is a better solution - I did not know that you could do that, then you should leave the screen.rpy as it is. No additional #:s at all.