Saves

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
numaej

Saves

#1 Post by numaej »

Quick question, after building distributions will the saves that I had in early stage, when I was working on the project, will be built in the 'sharing file''?

Because, I had 2 saves, just to skip content and check my current progress on the development of the project and after building distributions they are still there, the question is, is it because the saves are in my AppData or I made a fail while building the project and the saves will be implemented with the 'sharing file' because I didn't delete them before building them.

Hopefully somebody will understand the question, because it might sound complicated.

Donmai
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Toire No Hanako, Li'l Red [NaNoRenO 2013], The One in LOVE [NaNoRenO 2014], Running Blade [NaNoRenO 2016], The Other Question, To The Girl With Sunflowers
Projects: Slumberland

Re: Saves

#2 Post by Donmai »

No, they aren't included in the distribution. What happens is that you are certainly testing the game in the same machine you ran it before. The game is then getting that save information from the folder defined by the variable config.save_directory you declared in options.rpy.

Code: Select all

## Save directory ##############################################################
##
## Controls the platform-specific place Ren'Py will place the save files for
## this game. The save files will be placed in:
##
## Windows: %APPDATA\RenPy\<config.save_directory>
##
## Macintosh: $HOME/Library/RenPy/<config.save_directory>
##
## Linux: $HOME/.renpy/<config.save_directory>
##
## This generally should not be changed, and if it is, should always be a
## literal string, not an expression.
Test your game distribution in another machine and you will see there's no save information included.
No, sorry! You must be mistaking me for someone else.
TOIRE NO HANAKO (A Story About Fear)

numaej

#3 Post by numaej »

I trust you, thank you very much for your help and time! I needed to make sure before releasing the game. Big thanks!

Gigamish27

#4 Post by Gigamish27 »

Hi!

I was just introduced on where to find the Ren'Py engine two days ago and I am
very eager to learn what I can and start creating my own visual novels. Sorry I do not have an answer to this question but a question of my own about saves. I thought this would be a great place to ask it without having to start my own thread.

I began to run through the tutorial so I can learn the basics. I made it to the CHARACTER section and had to stop. When coming back to the tutorial after I shut down my computer I noticed that my sample game, MY QUESTION, was not in the Ren'Py Projects window. The editor that I am using is Editra(?) and I saved the script to my Desktop before I shut down. There is a folder with my sample visual novel title on my Desktop so I assumed it would be easy to open when I came back to it. It is not. When I try to run script.rpy from the folder a window prompts me on what program I would like to use to open the file. I have the Ren'Py Launcher open as I'm clicking on this file. Is there another way to load my sample script or do I have to start from scratch? If you have an answer or know of another thread where this question has been answered, please assist. Thank you for your time.

UPDATE:

I found how to open the script.rpy file in the Ren'py Luancher. I clicked on Scripts.rpy, clicked on File, clicked on Open Recent, and then the pathway of where I saved my sample game. If there is an easier way to open saved "games" please advise. :D