Stats and new updates

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
numaej

Stats and new updates

#1 Post by numaej »

Hi guys, I'm currently final stage of creating procject, mostly adding points system and I got really confused. As I wanted to separate path's from each other, I started to wonder how to prepare myself for adding new characters and scenes outcomes in the future. Sadly, my conclusion is that the player will have start the game from the very beginning, every time new update with new characters will drop. I remember exactly, how I hated that moment when I saw a game that had a huge amount of content that required from me to play it again from the top, since the old saves were no longer compatible. Now my questions is, how to prepare myself for this? Is there a possibility to code the game and points system in a way that a player won't be obligated to play it from the start each time when I add character or new characters points?

I heard about making a list that looks like:
"CHA1, CHA2, CHA3, CHA4... CHA999"

as well to add a point system

"CHA1_P, CHA2_P, CHA3_P.... CHA999_P"

You get my point. Although, this way it'll get too damn confusing down the road. So, now my question is how to solve this issue?
I read about the default statement, but how the hell do I use it?
Sorry guys, I'm a total newbie in this.

Alex
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Stats and new updates

#2 Post by Alex »

The default statement should be the answer - https://www.renpy.org/doc/html/python.h ... -statement
You'll be able to add new variables in updated script files and they should work.
Line with define statement doesn't need to be indented at all. You can place it whereever you want in script file - it will be executed befor the acual game starts (so, this might be easier to place this line at the beginning of the script).