Possible simple background question (SOLVED)

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Settle for Pocky
Regular

Possible simple background question (SOLVED)

#1 Post by Settle for Pocky »

I tried for awhile to find the answer before going on here but could not.

Is there a way for me to do a dissolve transition on the background without effecting the foreground characters?

I'll take this off if it's something really simple that I've over looked
thank you,
Pat
Last edited by Settle for Pocky on Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wight
Regular
Completed: A Transient Experiment
itch: wight

Re: Possible simple background question

#2 Post by Wight »

From my understanding, you would like to change the background with a dissolve transition while keeping the characters on screen without any noticable effect during the transition. Am I correct? I find that this works for me.

Code: Select all

scene background1
show character
"Background will change on next click."
scene background2
show character
with Dissolve(1.0)
"The background has now changed."
The trick is that "with Dissolve(1.0)" is on its own line at the bottom, which makes the scene change and character appearance do the exact same transition at the exact same time. As long as the character is in the same Position as it was in the previous scene, it won't look like it ever disappeared but the new scene will still dissolve in.
I hope this helps! Pardon me if I made a mistake, it's my first time helping out on this forum.

Settle for Pocky
Regular

Re: Possible simple background question

#3 Post by Settle for Pocky »

Yes that's correct.
Thank you!