[SOLVED] Build works fine until adding archive code to options.rpy

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Nagibator

[SOLVED] Build works fine until adding archive code to options.rpy

#1 Post by Nagibator »

Okay, so I've tested all of my code multiple times both through the build's .exe and through the Ren'Py launcher. However, as soon as I add the archive code, things get a little dicey:

Code: Select all

build.archive("scripts", "all")
    build.archive("images", "all")

build.classify("game/**.rpy", "scripts")
    build.classify("game/**.rpyc", "scripts")

build.classify("game/**.jpg", "images")
    build.classify("game/**.png", "images")
    build.classify("game/**.ogg", "images")
    build.classify("game/**.mp3", "images")
    build.classify("game/**.wav", "images")
    build.classify("game/**.txt", "images")
I tried multiple different ways of naming the archives and even went as far as making an archive for each file type. Regardless, the end result is always the same.

As soon as I load up the game, the main menu music plays. Which tells me that the options.rpy was read just fine. However, it seems the gui.rpy was ignored since the font was not loaded onto it. I might add that I didn't archive the font. Anyways, as soon as I hit "Start", it takes me to the default "You've created a new Ren'Py game." event. This made me assume that it also didn't read my script.rpy. However, when I click on "Load" and choose one of the various saves I made during the time I was creating and testing the code, I was able to start the story I created from there. But as I did that, none of my scenes would show, my CTC was missing, my first character would crash the game up until you had the ability to customize him, all the music and sounds still played, and images that I displayed using "show" (as opposed to "scene") still showed up (except for my CTC). It might sound a tad confusing but I created two videos to show the before and after effects. If any source code is necessary, I am more than willing to supply it, I just need some specifics as to what is needed.

EDIT: YouTube videos removed to clear up any Unlisted clutter on my project channel.
Last edited by Nagibator on Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

CalixtheGreat
Regular
Projects: Zephyr Breeze Investigations
itch: calixthegreat

Re: Build works fine until adding archive code to options.rpy

#2 Post by CalixtheGreat »

FB PAGE:
CALIX THE GREAT

Nagibator

Re: Build works fine until adding archive code to options.rpy

#3 Post by Nagibator »

CalixtheGreat wrote: Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:01 am viewtopic.php?t=18555
This was one of the many topics I checked before posting, nothing changed my problem so far. However, I am noticing that many are saying that archiving is really only good for preventing casual file browsing. Now, while I would always prefer to have a lower file count, it seems that archiving is more of a hassle for some than it needs to be. Should I dedicate the time to push for archiving or would I be fine without it?

EDIT: So it would seem I fixed my problem. However, my solution isn't exactly clear to me. Reason being that I did two things. First thing I did was remove everything in the project's AppData folder. Then, I unhid the project file from my desktop. I really only hide folders on my desktop because they are an eye sore for me. Regardless, the project worked fine when Ren'Py ran it hidden, so I can only assume I was simply having an issue with AppData.