Choice Overlay Not Appearing at Correct Time?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
vwxyang0707

Choice Overlay Not Appearing at Correct Time?

#1 Post by vwxyang0707 »

Hi there.
So I have this photo I would like to show up as the choice overlay photo during choice screens.
It used to work perfectly fine in the past, but now it'll pop up AFTER a choice is made, for about a split second. Is there any way for me to resolve this?

The choice overlay code in my screens.rpy looks like this:

Code: Select all

transform fade_overlay(start, end, duration):
    alpha start
    linear duration alpha end

image choice_overlay = "Closeup.png"
define config.layers = [ "master", "transient", "say", "choice_overlay", "screens", "overlay" ]
define config.say_layer = "say"

screen choice(items):
    style_prefix "choice"

# Show overlay in choice menu.
    on "show" action Function(renpy.show, "choice_overlay", at_list=[fade_overlay(0, 1, 0.5)], layer="choice_overlay")
    on "hide" action Function(renpy.show, "choice_overlay", at_list=[fade_overlay(1, 0, 0.5)], layer="choice_overlay")
Also, would it be possible to have two choice overlay screens?
For example, I would like that photo to be the choice overlay in one scenario, but have a different character as the choice overlay in another scenario.
Thank you in advance!
(For anyone who recognizes it, yes, I am trying to make a Persona 5 fangame :))

vwxyang0707

Re: Choice Overlay Not Appearing at Correct Time?

#2 Post by vwxyang0707 »

I've also realized that the choice overlay photo seems to be working perfectly fine ONLY when a single choice is available to the player. If there are two or more or options to choose from, I experience the problem from up above.