(solved)is there any way handling multiple project directories?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
SONTSE
Regular
Completed: 11 VN's so far
Discord: jkx0282_10798

(solved)is there any way handling multiple project directories?

#1 Post by SONTSE »

i have some vn projects but beside them i have a large quantity of quick test playgrounds, some codes from a cookbook and some vn made by others with interesting code to study. Right now i'm trying to sort them by adding prefixes to project name, and it looks like total mess. what i need is to place them on separate directories, and some easy way to switch between them, but right now for this switch i need to go to pref and browse each time, which is not too comfortable. so is there any way to make it easier? can we tweak the renpy launcher itself? multiple launchers will also do if trick them to use individual appdata to each of them.
Thanks!
Last edited by SONTSE on Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Remix
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: None... yet (as I'm still looking for an artist)
Projects: An un-named anime based trainer game

Re: is there any way handling multiple project directories?

#2 Post by Remix »

I think that is something you would have to ask Tom directly about (whether through PM here, through Discord or maybe even GitHub)

I've often thought the same, how it would be nice to just have a Project-Root folder chosen and have the launcher show Sub-Folders and actual Game-Projects inside those. (I've got maybe 40 projects in my launcher list, prefixed with short terms to order them)
Frameworks & Scriptlets:

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#3 Post by DragoonHP »

There is.
When a file named projects.txt is present in the projects directory, it is expected to contain a list of full paths to directories, one per line. Those paths are treated as projects and displayed in the launcher.
https://www.renpy.org/dev-doc/html/changelog.html#id19

SONTSE
Regular
Completed: 11 VN's so far
Discord: jkx0282_10798

#4 Post by SONTSE »

It turns out the launcher itself can be easily modified. To do so just go inside (renpy)/launcher/game , modify rpy's inside and restart launcher. So after some digging into launcher code, made a tweak which is crude, yet does the job! In attachment below.

Thanks for inspiration, guys! =)
Attachments
zz_multiple_directories.rpy
(4.07 KiB) Downloaded 24 times