Help with renp'y mechanics

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
Belial

Help with renp'y mechanics

#1 Post by Belial »

hello to everyone ;) I apologize in advance for my English but I use a translator

I would like to understand how to make a sandbox game via renp'y

I have searched everywhere on the internet and on this site but I can't do what I want, my English being too bad to understand...

I simply want to make a game in which the player can move where he wants (room, kitchen, city etc...) and place events at specific times, because of the day of the week and the time and make a loop that evolves according to the variables

Could someone please explain to me how to do this?
in advance thank you ;)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: Help with renp'y mechanics

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

What you want is possible, but will require advanced knowledge of both Ren'Py and python.
I suggest you put the idea aside for the moment, until you are more familiar with the basics.

Ren'Py comes with a good tutorial that I highly recommend. You can find it underneath the "projects" area of the launcher.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Belial

#3 Post by Belial »

Imperf3kt wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:03 pm What you want is possible, but will require advanced knowledge of both Ren'Py and python.
I suggest you put the idea aside for the moment, until you are more familiar with the basics.

Ren'Py comes with a good tutorial that I highly recommend. You can find it underneath the "projects" area of the launcher.
Hi, thanks for your answer, I already made a game under renpy and I don't have a problem with it, but I can't make one in "sandbox" and I've already seen the tutorials you're talking about, I really looked for a solution by myself but the language barrier is difficult for me, thanks again ;)

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#4 Post by Imperf3kt »

That's a good start then.
Unfortunately I cannot help with this as I have limited experience with what is required.

I wish you luck, and hopefully someone more knowledgeable is able to help you.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#5 Post by DragoonHP »

Have you looked at this > viewtopic.php?f=51&t=31571

Also for player movement, you can use screens to create rooms and facilitate movement between them via buttons.

Code: Select all

screen room(bg, interaction_1, interaction_2):
    tag room
    add bg

# something like a for loop which places imagebuttons above the background image
And then call it like

call screen room("living_room", [fill this with data])

Belial

#6 Post by Belial »

DragoonHP wrote: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:48 pm Have you looked at this > viewtopic.php?f=51&t=31571

Also for player movement, you can use screens to create rooms and facilitate movement between them via buttons.

screen room(bg, interaction_1, interaction_2):
    tag room
    add bg

# something like a for loop which places imagebuttons above the background image
And then call it like

call screen room("living_room", [fill this with data])

Hi ;) thanks for your help it will help me for my game, I finally found a solution, I haven't placed any events yet so I don't know if my system really works :) but for now I can move without any problem

the topic can be closed ;) thanks