[SOLVED] Empty ADV textbox shows in NVL mode when changing scene

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
teh

[SOLVED] Empty ADV textbox shows in NVL mode when changing scene

#1 Post by teh »

Hi everyone,

I'm working on my first Ren'Py project. It is in ADV mode, that starts with a couple of pretty images accompanied by some NVL-mode text to briefly introduce the universe.

However, at the very start of the game before the text first appears, and between each subsequent background transition, an empty textbox from ADV mode briefly appears. I have no idea what triggers this.

I have tried using some of the hints in this thread, to no avail (to wit, window hide and define _preferences.show_empty_window = False)

Here's my code, minus the content.

Code: Select all

define v = Character(" Guy 1", color="#d742f4")
define v2 = Character(" Guy 2", color="#42cef4")
define v3 = Character(" Guy 3", color="#45f442")
define gui.nvl_height = None
define flash = Fade(0.1, 0.0, 0.5, color="#fff")       

label start:
    # player labels that'll be defined later go here
    $ player_name = ""
    $ cheeky_points = 0
    $ feisty_points = 0

scene bg1
    play music "music1.mp3" fadein 1.0
    centered """NONSENSE

GOES

HERE."""

scene bg2
    with fade
    centered """SOME

MORE

LORE."""
    nvl clear
At that point, the empty textbox has appeared twice already (and does so for each subsequent scene change).

Any help would be much appreciated. :)
Last edited by teh on Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wight
Regular
Completed: A Transient Experiment
itch: wight

Re: Empty ADV textbox shows in NVL mode when changing scene

#2 Post by Wight »

I also made a VN that regularly swapped between ADV-mode and NVL-mode. I think what fixed the blank-ADV-box-issue for me was editing a line in options.rpy under "Window management"

Code: Select all

define config.window = "hide"
This controls when the dialogue window is displayed. If "show", it is always displayed. If "hide", it is only displayed when dialogue is present. If "auto", the window is hidden before scene statements and shown again once dialogue is displayed.
It is set to auto by default which is why it's "shown again once dialogue is displayed". Setting it to hide keeps it hidden until you have someone speak with an ADV textbox, which is probably what you intend.
I've had some inconsistent results when double-checking this, but I think it still works. Reloading the script or loading an old save file after making this change might not work, but I found it worked once I saved this change, closed the game, re-launched the game, and selected New Game. Let me know if it works for you too.

teh

#3 Post by teh »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try that and let you know! Really appreciate you taking the time.

teh

#4 Post by teh »

It did the trick!

Thanks again for your help. :)