A way to put an overworld into my game?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
lacticacid
Regular

A way to put an overworld into my game?

#1 Post by lacticacid »

I want to put an overworld into my game. I've seen adya overworld engine, but unfortunately, I don't think it works for me. I'd prefer it to be similar to games such as Night In The Woods, Sally Face, Fran Bow, or basically most point and click games with walking in them. I'm bad at explaining, hell, i don't even think "overworld" is the right word, but a look at some clips of the examples I mentioned should give somewhat of an idea of what I want. Can anyone help me?

edit: I tried to figure out what exactly I want, and here's what I came up with:
- Movement in only 2 directions, left and right, instead of all 4. This one is probably the easiest one to do. (if possible, jumping as well)
- Instead of tiles, I would like to use images as backgrounds
- Imagebuttons that the player can click on. (In fact, I would've just done an imagemap or a screen if I could figure out how to do all the other things on this list on one)
- (This one sounds confusing so you're welcome to just skip it) Once the edge of an image touches the edge of the screen, the image stops moving and the player stops being in the center and can go up to that edge. I'm sure that just sounded like a bunch of nonsense because, as I mentioned, I am very bad at explaining, but the basic idea is that instead of continuing its movement until the player bumps into a wall or something and revealing the *insert color here* background behind it, the background image stops moving when its edge is reached.
I am very sorry for not specifying these things in my original post.
~There is almost always a better, easier way to approach a problem.~

Kia
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: KiaAzad
Discord: Kia#6810

Re: A way to put an overworld into my game?

#2 Post by Kia »

you want to create a platforming game. even though renpy isn't made for plat former games, making one using screens shouldn't be that hard, it just need a bit of extra time and effort.