How to create 3D models, backgrounds and scenery?

Discuss how to use the Ren'Py engine to create visual novels and story-based games. New releases are announced in this section.
Forum rules
This is the right place for Ren'Py help. Please ask one question per thread, use a descriptive subject like 'NotFound error in option.rpy' , and include all the relevant information - especially any relevant code and traceback messages. Use the code tag to format scripts.
AbelardHeit

How to create 3D models, backgrounds and scenery?

#1 Post by AbelardHeit »

I apologize in advance for my English. I saw a lot of 3D games made on Ren'Py. And I also wanted to create them. But I ran into a problem. I do not understand this at all. I found out that you can create models in the Daz3D program (if you have something else better, write, please), but I don’t know where to create the background, scenery, etc., so that all this was also in 3D. How to put the created models on this background? What programs for all this use? I would be very grateful if you answer me.

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

Re: How to create 3D models, backgrounds and scenery?

#2 Post by Imperf3kt »

One of the best free programs to create 3D models is Blender.
Unfortunately, blender's learning curve is enormous. It doesn't work like most 3D programs and is very confusing for even experienced users.

Once you learn how to use it though, it can be very powerful.

Alternatively, you could use something like FreeCAD which is a lot more precise, but not really suited to organic shapes.

I've used Vue in the past, but it's not free.
LightWave is used by professional studios but is similar in difficulty to Blender.
Another notable commercial software is Maya. Which is very powerful and comparatively easy to use and can render video directly, but is subscription based and the price is in the four digit range.

There are dozens of other alternatives, Wikipedia has a list of 3D modelling software which you might want to look through.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of ... g_software
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

ComputerArt.Club
Veteran
Completed: Famous Fables, BoPoMoFo: Learn Chinese, Santa's workshop, Cat's Bath, Computer Art Club

Re: How to create 3D models, backgrounds and scenery?

#3 Post by ComputerArt.Club »

As the name suggests I teach a Computer Art Club, I teach elementary school students to use Blender and other open source software and I can testify that Blender is both extremely powerful but also quite difficult. Daz is, in my limited experience, more about purchasing other people's models, it is like an expensive hobby, but I've seen people with limited skills do amazing things with it with it. On the other hand, it is likely to take you a very long time to learn the skills and model assets by yourself with Blender. You will also need to spend time learning to use Renpy.
Whatever you use you should render your sprites and backgrounds separately and then you combine them in Renpy. The alternative is to download free to use 3D objects online and combine them and modify them in Blender, I've done this before. You will still need to learn a lot about Blender, rendering, materials, lighting, and basic manipulation.